Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Big Dog

Red face Odd commands you've taught your dog(s)

our friends think i've been a mean, strict "parent" with Brutus.
Not that i actually care... Ive never hurt him so i know im not totally horrible

Rules have always come first, but he knows i love him.

They think im odd for teaching him certain commands.. I'd like to know, commands you've taught your "kid(s)" that others find funky.

Mine are

"Kennel up" - Go into the kennel until i say "come out" which, even with the door open, he wont come out will i pat my leg or say "ok come on out baby"

Not so weird but others find it mean... I make him Lay down before he gets food or goes outside or comes back in. He knows this by heart now and doesn't care...

He never responds to whistles which people do a lot while on walks to get his attention. He only responds to me patting my leg or saying "come on" or "brute!"

"Uh Uh" in a sharp tone he knows this means not to continue what he's doing, it's not a "NO" but he knows that as well. This is more of "get out of it."

"Out" This command, in any tone, makes him leave the area he's in and sit down or wander to my side. I use it a lot when im cooking and he tries to get into the stove for the food. He knows it well and listens to it very well.

"Brutus Eat" is his command to get his food. After getting in a lay position i say that after feeling satisfied he's down far enough.. cause sometimes he tries to do that kinda down looking pose.

He knows "nom nom" mean feeding time and "wa wa" means drink Other than those, i can't say anything ive taught him is "odd" by any measure

aside from the fact that all commands i taught him are known in either a shout or whisper with "please" added on.

How about you?
Old 06-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

In my house, there are 2 stages of "down" -

Down - immediate drop, for obedience work
Go Lay Down - get out of my face and go lay down somewhere. I guess the key words are "Go" and "Lay" because I get a very quick response from my Down command, but Go Lay Down equals a sauntering off to find a comfy spot.

Then there's the every faithful "Mine" which I taught in conjunction with Leave It. If it's where I can touch it, I use "Mine", if it's further away I use "Leave it". Both work, so I guess they're just increasing their vocab.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 06-04-2008, 05:57 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Clean my squirrel is one i bet no one else is saying but Belle Pepper is quite the little mother and i sure appriciate her help. Somethings are just darn hard to imitate and a washcloth or paper towel just doesn't always do the job so good.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Tenebrion, I have a lot of similar ones that you have.

And everyone thinks I'm cruel because I crate up Bamm because crates are absolutely inhumane you know... and they also think I'm cruel because I make him wait for his food, wait to go outside or come inside, wait to go up or down stairs until I give the ok, etc... honestly... he doesn't seem to care one way or the other
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 06-04-2008, 06:21 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Good for you.. on the wait. VIrgo has figured out in the last half hour that she isnt' going to dodge past me on the door and i MEAN IT!

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
Good for you.. on the wait. VIrgo has figured out in the last half hour that she isnt' going to dodge past me on the door and i MEAN IT!
I like it when they finally realize we mean business, brute gave the dog sigh the first time he finally got it, as if he knew i was determined to win the battle of the brains.

That was the exact reason i taught him the wait thing as one of the first commands. I was so scared he'd see something outside and just fly out the door. I couldn't imagine him getting hurt or in a tussle with something/someone.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
The wait command had proven to be amazing for Bamm. He has gotten to the point where I don't always have to say wait... he just automatically waits until I give him the OK. I have a rule that when we are going in and out of doors I go through first and he stays behind until I say he can come.
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 06-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
Tenebrion, I have a lot of similar ones that you have.

And everyone thinks I'm cruel because I crate up Bamm because crates are absolutely inhumane you know... and they also think I'm cruel because I make him wait for his food, wait to go outside or come inside, wait to go up or down stairs until I give the ok, etc... honestly... he doesn't seem to care one way or the other

Oh i know, Brutes kennel is his happy spot, but our friends who have i guess two boxers and a mastiff feel their garage is a better home than putting them in kennels. Brute is told to "kennel up" whenever someone comes over or whenever we're going to eat. If he does something he knows is a no no.. he actually kennels himself up. Some days he'll do it, and forget because he fell asleep in there after 10 minutes. Once he's woken up he can't remember if he was put in there or not.

The whole reason i make him wait for food is i don't want him eating anything i or the fiance drop or anyone gives him. It works wonders as well. He actually doesn't eat unless i look back after saying "Brutus eat" and say "go ahead, eat"

I think Brute is more relaxed knowing there's a rule for most things instead of having to wonder if he's doing the right thing or not. But that's just my opinion.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Big Dog

Yea, i have to say, as for the wait command, i don't have to say anything, he knows he must be down and unless i say "go outside, or come on" he can't go anywhere.. It's an amazingly convenient rule for us. With him being so active and such a bit chase hog, i like knowing he wont take off unless i know the coast is clear or everything is secure.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:46 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Exactly. IT is one of the most important commands i can think of.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!