Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Big Dog

She bites to the side, and generally just nips and lets go. I think I have seen some improvement over the two days. Yesterday she played with a puppy she had previously been too rough with in my opinion (he's 5 months but already outweighs her by 15 + pounds!), and was much gentler. When she seemed on the verge of getting too rough I called out "gentle" or "no" and she would step back until he initiated play again. Today we went to the park and she played with a mini schnauzer, a JRT/whippet mix, great dane, and an older, larger lab mix, and seemed to respect their boundaries. She bit the large lab mix on the neck several times, but he apparently didn't mind, though he seemed to be a no-nonsense type of dog. At the end she started nipping at the JRT mix, at which time I just leashed her and took her out, as I didn't want it to escalate and it was time to go anyway.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Top Dog

Nipping at the side of the neck is perfectly fine. Sounds like she's doing well.

Make sure that when you use the "gentle" cue, and she stops what she's doing or actually acts more gently, PRAISE HER so that she knows that's what you want. If you can get really excited and get her to come to you for a treat, that's even better. If you do nothing to reward the gentle, she'll learn the word doesn't mean anything and she'll tune it out.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Big Dog

Thanks! I haven't been rewarding her much for stepping back, but I will start today - I really want her to be able to play with other dogs.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
Make sure that when you use the "gentle" cue, and she stops what she's doing or actually acts more gently, PRAISE HER so that she knows that's what you want.
That's a good general idea to think about any time you're trying to communicate with your dog, not just in this case. ANY time your dog does what you tell him to do, you should let him know that he did it right, even if it's just a simple "good" (I say "thank you!" to my dogs a lot, I think some people think it's weird, but it's just nice praise).