Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 06-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Walks into Mordor

Default Attitude towards BYB dogs

I've noticed a curious blind spot on Chaz. It's controversial, and some Chazzers carry it to greater extremes than others, but I thought I would bring it up for discussion.

Here's what you normally see on Chaz: "Backyard breeders and puppy mills are BAD! The dogs are unhealthy and not temperamentally sound. Go for a repudable breeder or a rescue." Some Chazzers even go so far as to tell new members with pet store puppies that their dogs will probably have temperament and psychological problems, and give advice on how to minimize it.

Lately, I find myself realizing how hypocritical that particular attitude really is. Think about it---I would bet that 99.9% of the rescue dogs we sing praises about come from BYBs and puppy mills.

How does that make sense? If we push BYB dogs as unsound, potentially psychotic messes, aren't we hurting our own campaign for the adoption of rescues?

I'm thinking maybe a more moderate course is in order. There are plenty of reasons not to adopt a BYB dog. They may be more likely to have temperament and behavior problems. You don't get the lifelong support of a breeder. And you're encouraging an industry that includes many unscrupulous people and practices.

But I don't think that the "OMG, your BYB dog is gonna be a health and temperament mess" is the right way to go.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Gempress; 06-02-2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Oh, it's *you*

I don't see many folks connecting the two actually. BYB/mill dogs in rescue I mean...two different things...one is putting money directly in the miller/BYB'er pocketbook...and the other is a rescue situation where really...you ARE helping out. The shelter dog...from ANY source is seldom a blank slate the way a puppy from any source is...that's just a fact. Less to do with the place a dog was whelped than where it spent it's formative time...

I agree moderation is never bad...and I don't recall saying much in the way of doom and gloom just because of where a dog comes from...so I am already kinda in the moderate camp on that. LOL.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 06-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Top Dog

I think you can get a good dog from anywhere just like a real crapper can come from the best breeder in the world. But it does not excuse what types of conditions these dogs come from and I think that is where a lot of the emotion comes in.

When you're around long enough you see people that get dogs from breeders and end up with trouble (occasionally) and it gets resolved with everyone's best interest in mind. I've seen far more situations where people get from byb or pet store (mostly pet store) and congenital issues arise, poor health, disease, death, and best case scenerio, just a bad case of temperment problems. These situations never get resolved, the owner is SOL and out some big bucks often times

I have no problem paying good money to people doing their work. If it comes down to 2,000 or 20 bucks for a dog of the same breed, i'd rather give my money to the guy doing his homework and due dillegence when it comes to breeding. I'm going to be putting a lifetime of work into that dog, the breeder better be doing the same.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Top Dog

I think it's important to give people the best chance of finding a dog to fit their needs and lifestyle. That said, I find very few breeders responsible, and my recommendations for other people are usually based on a general 'responsible' spectrum.

Many dogs ARE examples of BYBs/mills because well... those dogs are typically bred without a thought as to how their lives will go. Responsible breeders, in my experience, help with any problems that arise as well as use those problems as a guide with future breedings.

Very few people actually maintain high breeding standards.

When adopting from a rescue agency/HS/other similar place you are supporting the people who DO rescue. I don't see how this helps BYBs at all. Sure it's a place to dump puppies, but then they aren't making money on the puppies. Very few BYBs aren't fueled by money.

Actually... more widespread dog awareness as well as awareness of spay/neuter benefits would really benefit ALL dogs.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RL1 RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 06-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Walks into Mordor

Looking back, my original post may be a bit confusing, so I edited it. I don't support BYB breeders in the least. But I think that the assertions made that basically say "BYB dogs end up unhealthy and neurotic" should be tempered a bit.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:04 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I guess my question would be why? Why make it roses when a breeder who only cares about producing 60k that year of puppies does just that? I'd almost rather people believe that dogs from bybs and mills are not naturally sound just to avoid supporting them.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Felurian

Maybe a more realistic way of looking at the health and temperament of BYB/puppymill bred dogs is to compare it to a game of Russian Roulette.

Only sometimes you're going to be gambling with more than one round in the chamber.

Rescuing a dog can be kind of like buying a used car. If you do your homework, take it out for a realistic test drive, and check things out, you've got a very good idea of how sound a companion you've chosen.

Sure, things can turn up later that aren't apparent, but rescuing a dog puts you in the situation of seeing the how the dog copes with one of the worst-case scenarios any dog can experience. Abandonment, insecurity, limited attention, often crowded conditions, the smell of fear and death in the air at so many shelters . . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-02-2008, 12:41 PM
overdogged

The reason I'm going to a good breeder for my next dog is because of the health issues of my shelter/rescue dogs. Luce is five years old. She has two bad knees and something going on with one of her front legs. She is go go go!!! but her body is saying ow ow ow!!! It's not fair to her, and it really sucks.

I don't think I'd ever get a puppy from a shelter or rescue. There are too many unknowns. The same unknowns you get with a byb or petstore puppy. Health? Who knows. Temperament? Who knows. Adult dogs are much more "what you see is what you get", especially with regards to temperament. By the time I have come around to adopt them, their issues are out there for everyone to see if you know where and how to look.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 06-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Pound Puppy

I think it comes down to whether you believe that temperament comes from breeding (nature) or from training (nurture). The whole argument about how "good" breeders breed for comformation AND temperament assumes that once the pup comes out of the hatch, there is only so much you can do as far as socialization and training goes. The kicker though is that if you accept that, then you are more or less forced to accept the idea that there are breed-specific traits, which opens the door to a lot of unpleasant discussions.

My personal opinion is that a huge part of the problem with pet store puppies (aside from some of the more outrageous cases of health issues) is that they miss out on a critical period of socialization and they learn to poop very close to where they eat, so training them and making up for lack of socialization are a challenge. And unfortunately since people who buy from pet stores are the least likely to have gotten any screening or coaching (as opposed to getting from a breeder or shelter), they are also the least likely to know what they are in for.

That being said, both of my dogs are from unknown circumstances. One was a pound puppy adopted at the age of 4 months, the other was an adult rescue who was a breeder in a puppymill and was released at the age of 20 months. According to conventional wisdom, both should be basket cases but I consider myself blessed with both of them. OK the Golden had a bout with cancer but that is almost to be expected nowadays.

Ay any rate, ALL dog owners I think have a right to ask for help on a forum, and if the first thing they hear is they were fools for getting their dog at the wrong place, they may disappear and not come back, which would be a shame.

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." - George Santayana
Old 06-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Top Dog

Rescue/shelter dogs...you are saving their life because someone else failed them. I real rescue makes no money from the fee, it often doesn't even cover expenses of housing the dog. Rescues also screen dogs and temperament test

Pet Store/BYB dogs...the price paid goes to line the pockets of some greedy and cruel $#@&%$. The dogs temperament is irrelevant to the seller it just about the $$.

Your end product (the poor dog) is very similar (except the Temp test) but where your money goes is completely different! If you bye a dog from a ByB or a Pet Store you are financing the abuse and neglect of many many future dogs

If no one bought from ByB or Pet Stores a lot of abuse and neglect would stop.