Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Top Dog

Smile Cool Observation

Today I was sitting on my deck and Lyric, my Doberman brought a hunk of bark to gnaw on. I didn't want him to mess up my deck and was too lazy to get up and really show him that I wanted him to take it onto the lawn instead, so I gave a half attemp (not thinking it would really work) at telling him to take it off the deck. I said, "Lyric, take the toy off the deck." (duh.....like he's really going to understand a whole English sentence) He's never been taught to do this. He does know what "toy" means and I thought he might see the bark as a toy. He also knows what "off" means in connection with him getting off of the couch or counter (when he was a pup) etc. But he's never been really taught how to apply that to other things. I was quite suprised when I said again, "Lyric....toy off. Toy off deck," (he doesn't know what deck is either I don't think) he picked up the bark and went off the deck onto the grass. A minute later, he again came on the deck with the bark and set it down. And again, I said the same thing, "Toy off deck." He grabbed it up and again went and lay down on the grass with it, at which time I told him how wonderful he was. LOL. Isn't that something how he took some components of things he understood and made a new connection and applied them to something entirely different on his own? That's a smart dog I think. LOL.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Big German Shepherd

Haha, that is cool. I've done that with Rocky before... can't think of a time right now, but I will...lol
Old 07-16-2005, 12:31 PM
Felurian

ROFLMAO! Amazing how smart they get when we're not expecting them to be able to do something, isn't it . . . They understand a lot more than we've been conditioned to expect, I think.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-16-2005, 01:42 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Thats because all this "research" has been done on how a dogs brain works and they are not giving them as much credit as they deserve. I think dogs have way more brain power than they think they do. Teddy does that with a lot of things. They are smarter than we think lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 07-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Active Pup

I think dogs a so smart. I know mine knows a huge amount of what I say. Good for Lyric for showing you how smart he is.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:38 PM
I W A L R

that was cool!
Old 07-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Top Dog

I really think my dogs understand at least 2/3's of human language! They observe our body language, our tone, and listen to the words and put 2 + 2 together!!
Old 07-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Love my pets

Way to go Lyric. I bet he's holding back not wanting to show you everything he knows.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Top Dog

he probably just understood off, so he figured it out
or maybe hes just extremely smart
Old 07-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
he probably just understood off, so he figured it out
Yes, he understood off in the way of getting his body off the couch or when he use to jump up on the counter to steal something when he was a baby.....like HE is suppose to get his body off. But I thought this was so entirely different....my asking him to remove another object, not him. So that kind of tickled me when I said "toy off" and apparently he switched from thinking of off in terms of his body getting off something to...his picking up and removing the toy off of the deck. I could be wrong. Maybe it was just a coincidence. I suppose we'd need to repeat that experiment several times. Or maybe they really can put 2 and 2 together much better than we thought. Hmmm. Velllly interestsink!