Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 06-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Top Dog

Ok... I need some more Chaz expertise.

I spoke to the vet today, and he recommended Science Diet. Not even a prescription, just Science Diet because Home made foods aren't balanced. Too much work on the kidneys. He also spoke to Hills, and they recommended some of their homemade foods... I haven't gone in to pick up the information sheet yet...

I'm just upset because she's doing SO well eating the satin balls- her energy level has increased to completely normal, a HUGE improvement-- and she's eating them with vigor, and I'm sure she's gaining weight. She won't eat enough of any dry food to get her anywhere. She's still at such an awful body condition.

I don't know what to do. I mean, he doesn't even know what's in the food I'm feeding her, so I don't know if that's a completely valid point, or not. How do I know it's any better or any worse than the commercial food I'm trying to get her to eat?

ETA: My cat was just diagnosed with Inflammatory bowel disease, or so we think. He wants me to feed him either a senior, or hairball formula, with more fiber. He wants me to feed him Iams, Eukanuba, or Science Diet-- All "Wonderful foods with fantastic results," and I simply asked for what kind of crude fiber level I want, so I can pick one myself. My cat's eating Felidae. He says there's no reason not to feed the above listed Grocery store-bought type foods, the others are no better than that.

I told him my cat does better on Felidae, coat and weight wise. He says there's no reason that would be true. Iams is just as good.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 06-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Lord Cynical

*sigh*, vets and Science Diet again... sheesh. What's so balanced about peanut hulls anyway?

IMO Satin Balls aren't for long term use - they're a good supplement, and good for temporary use to put weight on a dog.

... sounds like your vet isn't someone I'd go to for nutrition advice.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 06-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Pound Puppy

Just as a side note, I'm not overly find of the molasses in the satin balls. There are some alternative recipes in case anyone is interested.
http://www.holisticdog.org/Nutrition...tinballs2.html
This same page also has recipies for some seriously fattening treats.

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." - George Santayana
Old 06-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Puppy Dog

Hills and Science Diet?? BAD> Are all vets brain washed by Science Diet? No, wait, they make lots of money off it. My vet sells it, but never pushes it at all.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Walks into Mordor

Yuck. Don't listen to your vet. From what I understand, many vets actually have a pretty limited understanding of canine nutrition. And a lot of what they do know is taught by "seminars" provided by traveling Science Diet reps.

Science diet is NOT the way to go. There are so many foods out there that are much better. I don't know much about specific brands, but I'm sure there are people on this board who can give you more info. And there's nothing wrong with home-prepared foods (like raw) if you know what you're doing.

Here's a MUCH better site to get nutrition information from. The site's author, Mordy, really knows her stuff:

www.dogfoodproject.com

If it helps any, I used to feed my dogs Natural Balance. It's not as good as Innova EVO, but is still one of the better foods out there. And you can find it at Petco.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:32 AM
Top Dog

Right. I know plenty about choosing a dry food, and I would avoid Hills at all costs. The only issue for me right now is Choosing a food that:

1)Kenna will eat
2)Won't overwork her kidneys
3)Will put weight on her

I've read that Everything in the satin balls are pretty much digestible. If there's not much waste, then doesn't that put less load on the kidneys?

I can't feed both the satin balls and dry food, because she simply won't eat both. Otherwise I would. Like I said, her energy and weight have both increased dramatically since I've been feeding her the satin balls on Friday...

Old 06-03-2008, 02:35 AM
and Fozzie B!

Arghhh... I don't mind that some Vets recommend the prescription foods they carry, but when they trash-talk QUALITY foods without knowing anything about them, and push SD/whatever as the pinnacle of all dog foods, that is just wrong. D:<

I would not listen to him, whatsoever, as far as what kibble to feed... just based on that advice. Satin Balls should not do any damage to a dog, when used as a supplement. I know plenty of people who feed full Raw diets to dogs who previously had kidney problems, with awesome results. Why can't you feed both kibble and satin balls? You could mix the kibble into the satin balls, couldn't you?

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-03-2008, 02:38 AM
Top Dog

I fear that to get the right amount of kibble into the satin balls, she would pick through it, spit out the kibble. True, I haven't tried it yet, but I know her-- She's SO picky...

But for breakfast tomorrow, I think I'll try to mix it for her.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Pound Puppy

I am NOT a dog food expert by any means. But it is my understanding that the problem with dogs that have kidney issues is the amount of phosphorous. If that is true, then you want a kibble with a low phosphorous content and then guess what, the S/D doens't look so bad after all.

This list is old but it's the only one I'm aware of.
http://www.raingoddess.com/dogfood/phos.html

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." - George Santayana
Old 06-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Big Dog

Here's a good list of dry and grain-free foods at Whole Dog Journal -

http://www.geocities.com/rottndobie/...ogjournal.html

TOTW made the list as well, which is nice since that's the brand I know best.