Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-30-2008, 02:31 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Cranberry is noted NOWHERE as having any benefit to kidney health.

Cranberry has unique properties that can prevent the adhesion of bacteria (which cause urinary tract and bladder infections) from adhering to cells lining the urinary tract. There is also some thought that they can help prevent kidney stones from forming.

It is important to make sure that information one posts to bulletin boards in regard to diet, supplements, etc, is CORRECT as many people can read these boards and incorrect or incomplete information be harmful in some cases.

http://www.squidoo.com/benefitscranberryjuice

http://www.cranberryinstitute.org/news/PR/PR111506.htm

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...spice&dbid=145
Old 05-30-2008, 02:34 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyX View Post
In humans or in dogs?
Systems are different and things good for us aren't necesarily good for them.
I'd love to see somewhere it says that cranberries are good for a dogs kidney.

Lew Olsen, PhD natural health, recommends Cranberry for dogs with urinary tract issues.

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/utis/
Old 05-30-2008, 05:12 PM
koda bear

Very nice looking dog That sounds like an okay weight. She doesent look overly skinny.I just feed strictly canidae know and koda seems to love it.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Just try me..

Yes freeze raw meat before feeding.. I forget the actual organism that can be carried in raw muscle meat, but it is killed by freezing.

Satin balls are in addition to a good diet.

What are the cal per cup in Candidae?
Old 05-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Crazy Dog!

Dekka, I don't remember what it is called either, but from my understanding, at least in the US, we don't worry about it anymore. I thought it was mostly found in pork, but the organism has been eradicated from pork so we no longer worry about freezing meat before it's eaten. Unless someone else has any info that I don't know.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Queen of the Jungle

Trichinosis is probably what you're talking about, but it is essentially eradicated in North American pork. Any grocery store bought meat is very *very* unlikely to have it. Apparently its been over 15 years since there was a case of it here in Canada.
If I was feeding something a little more 'exotic' like bear or wild boar, then I'd freeze it (solid!) for at least a few days, but its not something I can get my hands on here. Although my two LOVE venison, but its a delicacy i can usually only 'find' in the fall.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:41 PM
Crazy Dog!

^^^^ Thank you Maple!
Old 05-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Top Dog

I fed Kenna about a half of a Satin Ball patty today. She LOVED it. But The vet's going to talk to me again on Monday, to let me know how much of a fatty diet she should be able to safely handle. But she's not eating her Canidae food with vigor anymore.

She looked like she's lost weight since she's come to my home, and that really scared me. I weighed her today, and It seems that she's gained a pound. I think she's just gaining muscle mass, rather than fat, because she's playing with Bruno so much. You can see every rib on her side, even through that thick coat.

At her old foster home (I've had her about 10 days now), she had virtually no exercise. Here, she is crated for up to 10 hours a day (Not at one time, and not including while we're sleeping.) and the rest of the time is spent playing with bruno, with her toys, etc. She still doesn't have nearly enough energy as she should. Maybe I shouldn't let her play with him so much.

Another issue I've had is regurgitating. Bruno did this when he came to my home, too, never have been crated before. He's over that now. She was always free-fed, and had access to water 24 hours a day. Here, she's crated for up to 6 hours without water, and gets fed twice a day (Though she only wants to eat once.) So when she does eat or drink, she does it a LOT. Too much for her shrunken stomach. So she'll regurgitate water and undigested food in little puddles shortly after drinking.

I dont' let her drink all at once, and I can't cut her Dry food meals down into small portions throughout the day-- she'll only eat once (though that's not a problem with Satin balls.) and that's helping a lot.

Is this right, or am I doing something wrong? She should be able to be crated without water, right...? Or maybe I should forget that theory and give her water in her crate, too?

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 05-31-2008, 03:09 PM
Just try me..

No it wasn't Trichinosis, it was found in beef. Arg..If I remember I will post.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:20 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
and had access to water 24 hours a day. Here, she's crated for up to 6 hours without water, and gets fed twice a day (Though she only wants to eat once.) So when she does eat or drink, she does it a LOT. Too much for her shrunken stomach. So she'll regurgitate water and undigested food in little puddles shortly after drinking.
In my experience, it can take awhile for a free-access dog to get used to not having snackies and sippies all day. I crate mine without water (Ilsa spills it, and Ronin drools in it).

Maybe start by putting a small amount of water in the bowl when she's out, so she can't gorge. Or PM Sada - her setter has a drinking problem too, and she takes special measures to prevent him from vomiting up his water intake.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)