Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

Default Food to put weight on my Husky

Kenna is my foster-- I've posted about her before. Not eating, seizing, you know, the normal stuff

Anyway, she's living well with HypoParaThyroidism, and she takes calcium twice daily, and Vitamin D every 4 days. She's doing really great, she's stable now. She's had her first set of shots, and she's due for her boosters next month. Then we can get her spayed, if she's gained enough weight.

And that's the problem, she won't gain weight. She's eaten a ton of different things-- Blue Buffalo, Canidae, Natural balance, Prescription SD food, and a few other things. But she mainly sticks to the Canidae.

Now that she's at my house, she's only eating Canidae, I don't give her a choice. Her old foster parent used to put out different bowls of food out, and let her free-feed. Well, that's not something we do at my house.. She barely ate anything that way. Anyway, she's eating the canidae really steadily now, she gets fed twice a day. She eats plenty, at least her recommended amount, if not, more.

I want to switch her to something that will fatten her up more. Any suggestions? Can you switch to something fattier, without losing vast amounts of quality?

She did weigh 25 lbs, and she's a full grown 1.5 year old Husky. Now she weighs 31lbs.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

Satin balls!!!

(lol, google them. That's what Mayasmydobe is using to put weight on Maya.)

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-29-2008, 12:11 PM
My house is a zoo

I agree, the Satin Balls work very well!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Couch Pototoe City

Adding organ meat- like chicken livers, or beef liver, or a little canned mackarel. The livers helps with building the b vitamins which helps with muscle building. The canned mackarel is rich in Omega 3 and 6 but as well helps support the immune system. I would also suggest you add vitamin C. This also helps alot. At 30 pounds I would give about 100 mg. Being a water soluable vitamin, its best to give at night as it will pass in the urine. That way its in the body the longest. To increase her D vitamins you can add yogurt as well. It also has digestive enzymes.
I feed a raw diet but Canidea is a good food as well.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:20 PM
RedyreRottweilers

It is important to note that while canned mackeral is very good on occasion, it is also quite high in sodium and so may not be appropriate for dogs with any cardiac or kidney issues.

It is important to balance any raw meat fed with an appropriate amount of raw bone or substitute. Meat is higher in phosphorus, and needs the balancing minerals of Calcium and Magnesium found in bone.

A simple inexpensive substitute is ground eggshell. You want 1/2 teaspoon of finely ground eggshell for each pound of boneless meat fed.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
It is important to note that while canned mackeral is very good on occasion, it is also quite high in sodium and so may not be appropriate for dogs with any cardiac or kidney issues.

It is important to balance any raw meat fed with an appropriate amount of raw bone or substitute. Meat is higher in phosphorus, and needs the balancing minerals of Calcium and Magnesium found in bone.

A simple inexpensive substitute is ground eggshell. You want 1/2 teaspoon of finely ground eggshell for each pound of boneless meat fed.

Ah yes, that's another issue. When her calcium went too high, she sustained Kidney damage. We're not yet sure how extensive, but she hasn't been outwardly affected, yet.

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to try the Satin balls, I guess. Sounds good!

Now, should I feed that along with Canidae, or just alone, as a complete diet? Do I need to add anything else? This is the recipe I came up with first on Google: http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm

ETA: Just to be sure, there's no problem with feeding Raw Ground Hamburger meat? I've always been wary of ground hamburger, although I know dogs aren't affected by the same bacteria we are. I've never really looked into raw feeding any further than Nature's Variety

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 05-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Couch Pototoe City

The canned mackarel we get is only 11 percent salt and that is for the whole can. There is more salt in kibble dog food than that. I use it because its great to boast the immune system. and adding a little cranberry ( like the capsules) helps alot with the kidneys.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:29 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Can you tell us how canned mackeral helps the immune system, and how cranberry caps helps with the kidneys?

There are 1680 mgs of sodium in one 15 oz can of Jack Mackerel. That is a lot. Ok for occasional use. Use with care in dogs with cardiac or kidney function issues.

http://www.bumblebee.com/Products/In...?Product_ID=43
Old 05-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Queen of the Jungle

You should probably feed the satin balls and kibble seperately.
The other thing to note, is vitamin C is good, water soluble, so you can't overdose, but if you *do* feed too much, it can give the dogs the runs.
You could also give the dog a good fish oil supplement -NOT cod liver oil.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Hmmm... I googled Satin Balls because I was curious and found this page... what do you think? I printed off a recipe for it because I may try it out, but what I may end up doing is making smaller portions as a snack or something for Bamm... This website doesn't agree that Satin Balls should not be a complete diet. What are your opinions?

Here's the link I found http://www.metrocast.net/~randall/satinballs.htm
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle