Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Top Dog

Default How did/do you teach stay??

Interested in seeing how everyone teaches or taught their dog to stay.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Big Dog

I'd really love to see some responses to this one.

I just started working with my dog on this to help with his separation anxiety. So we're doing sit, and then stay and then I'm waiting to reward him after he holds it for a certain amount of time.

We had worked up to about a minute, and then we went outside. And he sat, And then he stayed. I rewarded him, and he made no move to get up, so I said stay again, and took a few steps away, he did not move. We literally had to persuade him to STOP staying. (I'm sure if we'd gone out of sight he would have broken it.)

So yeah, I think my dog is smarter than I am, and I have no idea how to train him.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:56 PM
My house is a zoo

I start out with the dog sitting at my left side, in the heel position. I say stay and move around directly in front of the dog. Only for a second, then move back to the dog's side and click/treat. I do that several times. I gradually move backwards away from the dog, a step at a time, and I gradually add time on to the stay. If the dog gets up, I tell them no and put them back where they were.

They seem to pick this up really quickly. Juno... who has a tough time sitting still... can stay for 10 seconds with me about 4 feet away so far.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:57 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I'm trying to remember specifics....

We put Buddy on a lunge line. He sat and I took a few steps back and when he stayed, I would praise him. After a few repetitions of him staying, I started naming it "stay". Slowly I worked up to moving so far back I got rid of the lunge line and would disappear around the corner of the house. He got praised and also received a treat each time. Ohhh and I would change direction of where I was going and I would walk fast/slow, etc.. I wanted him to know that stay meant stay at all times.

He's very good at his stays. Such a smart boy.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Top Dog

I taught Max by hainv him in front of me and taking one step back then forward and gave a treat. Slowly I increased the number of steps always returning to give a treat. If he broke the stay I would body block him back into position and cut back one the number of steps because I had been going too hard on him if he broke the stay. Phoebe's stay is her wait command that i used for the front door. that was taught by saying wait, opening the door and if she tried to go out it I closed the door. Eventually she would wait and I would open more, she got to go out when I gave the release word, no sooner. She just applied it to eerthing eventually, if I tell her to wait on a walk she will still stop even though it has nothing to do with the door and getting to go outside.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwalker2 View Post
I start out with the dog sitting at my left side, in the heel position. I say stay and move around directly in front of the dog. Only for a second, then move back to the dog's side and click/treat. I do that several times. I gradually move backwards away from the dog, a step at a time, and I gradually add time on to the stay. If the dog gets up, I tell them no and put them back where they were.
I do it pretty much the same way. I don't actually use a "stay" command ~ from the beginning of teaching a sit or a down or a stand, I use a release word before they get up. Initially, it's immediate - "sit" *butt hits ground* "free" *they get up, but at that stage they would have anyway* over time, they get used to hearing the release word before getting up, and when I begin to introduce stays, I teach them that a sit is a sit until you're given another command or released.

I do however use a "cheat" which is that if I'm moving off with the dog heeling, I step off with my left foot, if I am leaving the dog in a stay, I step off with my right foot.

Another way of doing it is a "stay" command for a stay with you returning to the dog and a "wait" command if you're leaving the dog for a recall.

Build duration, then distance, then add distractions.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 05-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
I do it pretty much the same way. I don't actually use a "stay" command ~ from the beginning of teaching a sit or a down or a stand, I use a release word before they get up. Initially, it's immediate - "sit" *butt hits ground* "free" *they get up, but at that stage they would have anyway* over time, they get used to hearing the release word before getting up, and when I begin to introduce stays, I teach them that a sit is a sit until you're given another command or released.

I do however use a "cheat" which is that if I'm moving off with the dog heeling, I step off with my left foot, if I am leaving the dog in a stay, I step off with my right foot.

Another way of doing it is a "stay" command for a stay with you returning to the dog and a "wait" command if you're leaving the dog for a recall.

Build duration, then distance, then add distractions.

Well said. Bamm already knew stay when I adopted him, but we're working on perfecting it. I like what your cheat method of stepping off on a different foot to indicate a different thing whether it be to heel or stay.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 05-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Walks into Mordor

I put my Horsemen in the proper position, and said, "Nooooo" when they moved. Not harsh, but with definate disapproval. I calmly praised them when they sat, and gave them a few treats along with it. They figured it out very quickly.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

I did it how BP did it, except no lunge line lol.

Eevee
14-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 05-29-2008, 03:31 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Ohh, the lunge line was at the very beginning only, for the first day. I didn't need it, but I wanted it there just in case.