Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonster
Interesting thoughts Renee - made me think of how I felt of when I learned about the US Navy Dolphin Programs when in FLA some years back... I guess with dogs its much better if they are allowed to be 'smart' (like sniffers, trackers) rather than being lined up to pay the ultimate price (border guards, police dogs used at riots etc....)
Like you, Bonster, I don't have any real qualms about the dogs having jobs out of the line of fire; dogs love to have work to do and it also helps keep us aware of that fact.

I read a story somewhere about a Jack Russell that was being trained for U.S. Customs work, sniffing contraband in luggage. He was doing everything right, except they couldn't find his "thing" - the particular contraband he was particularly keen on. The finally found it . . . cheese! Now, who would have thought there was a problem of illegal cheese coming into the U.S.? There must be, 'cause this little guy was so good at it and found so much that there were actually death threats sent in against him!

LOL! Just file that one in the "Weird World" drawer . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Labrador lover!!!!!

omg what silly people to do that though!!!I feel sorry for the poor dog!!i would'nt blame him if he bit someone coz he didnt know them!!
6 bunnies~fluffy, muffin,bugsy, buttons,twigglets,forsty
2 gerbils~cheese and pickels
2 g.pigs~buzz and dizzy
Old 02-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Top Dog

The problem I have with "Who Gets the Dog?" is that here are 3 families competing for one dog. Now I don't know how other humane societies are, but while volunteering four or five times a week at mine, I notice several dogs that need homes!! And I fall completely in love with several of them. While these morons are wasting their time and loving their 15 minutes, any number of unwanted dogs are put to sleep. If they would just say, "Geez, I want a dog. Let's try to suppress our desperate desire to be on TV and just go adopt one!" I would be happier. It shames me that people are so ignorant that it doesn't occur to them that there are thousands of wonderful dogs out there who need loving homes and are being destroyed while they fight over one little dog who's obviously going to get adopted anyway.

I guess I'm still wishing people were more like dogs.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Felurian

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Emma!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
That's not the only thing I want to hit on the head... lol
You know....I was thinking the same thing while watching that show. Why do they care about that one little dog. Why don't two of the people just go adopt a dog from a shelther and let one have this one? And hurry up before more get pts!
Old 02-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Top Dog

And another thing that's irritating is that they make such a big issue out of who "relates" the best to the dog or who was better at teaching it in 5 minutes how to jump through a hoop. Who cares? As long as the people are nice and won't abuse the dog, have some idea how to care for one, it's better than a life sitting in some shelter or being wasted.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Top Dog

I agree with that. Some of the things they tell these people they have to do I'm sitting there thinking THOSE POOR PEOPLE! Its intersting hearing the lady trainer tell how she "would have done it". The dog doesnt really understand, goes to someones house, doesnt know them at all yet he's to learn in a few mins to do certain things on comand then go to someone elses house and learn their comands. Then they also have the hole family working to get the dog to do something. I've always worked one on one with mine to learn the basic, sit, stay, laydown, maybe catch treats. Its just to distracting to have more than one person at the same time saying "sit", "stay" while trying to teach them. That part bothers me. And I think how I love animals, have all my life and have never negelted a animal. It wouldnt matter if I had one pet or 100, I'd see to it each had the love and care they needed but if I was on that show trying for a pet and they gave me some of those task I'd fail and most likely not get the dog. I've had Princess for a year now and she still doesnt jump thru hoops or jump over things! Although, I wish I knew how to teach different tricks because I think she has the talent to do some neat stuff if I only knew how to teach them!
Old 02-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Playful Husky Pup

speaking of the stupid tricks they try and get these people to train their dogs. im going back to Stella when the male couple tried to teach her to chase her trail by tieing a pink bandana to her tail.... Is'nt chasing their tail something you want to usually stop your dog from doing?

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 02-13-2005, 02:51 PM
no touchy

Yep, I've heard of it.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.