Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-10-2005, 03:45 AM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4Pits
I hate this show and here's a big reason why. Remember Stella the staffie cross that was adopted out on that show? Check this out.

A follow-up on Stella:

Quote:
In her episode, Stella, a Pointer-Greyhound-Stratfordshire Terrier mix, chose Arsineh, Craig and their dog Charlie as her perfect family. All was well until a trip to the dog park, where park goers mislabeled her a vicious pit bull. While nothing could be farther from the truth about Stella's breeding or personality, the stereotype stuck and her new family decided not to take the chance. The reality is, not all pet adoptions are a match made in pooch heaven. So, a member of the Who Gets the Dog? crew, with his own animal menagerie, chose Stella instead. Read her happily-ever-after story, as told by her new owner, Ted.
Wait, what happened? Was she euthanized or somethin'? Didn't really understand.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Felurian

Looks like she's got a new owner. From the post, one of the Animal Planet crew members took her home.

I don't have cable out here in the Styx so I haven't seen any animal planet in a long time, but the animal cop program idea reminded me - so I'll throw it out there for you to gnaw on: I used to think police dogs and dogs (and other animals) working with the armed services was just so neat and so great, but as I've gained years and perspective (and worked around a lot of law enforcement) I'm coming more and more to the conclusion that I really don't like this on an ethical or moral level. While these creatures are willing to throw their lives in front of ours, animals don't commit crimes or start wars. We do that. It's not right that they stand in front of us in the way of danger and pay the ultimate price for our inabilities to do the right thing. That's not a disloyalty to our good people who put on uniforms and put themselves in harm's way every day, but these things are human problems, and humans should bear the responsibility. But, that's just my personal epiphany.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

I watch animal planet when my dogs aren't there. I can't really watch it with Beulah in the room with me because if a dog starts barking on the tv, she will bark as loud as she can and run around the house. I watch animal cops houston as much as I can. From what I've seen, they have been really good with pit bulls. I watched one episode where they busted these two boys that were fighting pits. After they took the dogs, they found out that these dogs loved people. They were the friendliest dogs. I've never seen an episode where they put down a pit. I take that back, there was one time, but the dog was dying and there was nothing else they could do for it. I applaud the people on animal cops. It's nice to see animals taken out of bad homes and put in a good environment.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:46 AM
Felurian

ROFL! I can just see Beulah getting all worked up over the dogs on TV. Bimmer used to love to watch that show they had where the dogs competed in teams. He would sit and watch, wide-eyed, when he was a pup, lol!

Oh, gotta share this . . . Shiva wants to nap, but Kharma wants to play. Shiva's laying on her side on the floor in front of the heater and Kharma's on the sofa above her, reaching down with her two front paws - about the size of dessert plates, lol - putting them all over Shiva's head, covering Shiva's eye, mushing her nose, flipping her ear making funny little noises at her.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Disappointed :(

Although I haven't seen the program, what I don't get is why this is so-called reality (if you really want a dog is this the way to do it?), and how the 'competitive' (best of 3) nature can be entertaining. I accept that some people might learn from watching, but there are better ways to do it and I doubt in a TV-scenario whether everyones thoughts are really on what's best for the animal (e.g. from how-do-I-look to schedules to ratings). I guess its just the way of the world that a lot of people just accept (even re-enforce) what the media passes to them... (....thinking of what I've read on here about the 'bad rap breeds' problem in Canada and elsewhere)

Interesting thoughts Renee - made me think of how I felt of when I learned about the US Navy Dolphin Programs when in FLA some years back... I guess with dogs its much better if they are allowed to be 'smart' (like sniffers, trackers) rather than being lined up to pay the ultimate price (border guards, police dogs used at riots etc....)
Old 02-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Top Dog

One thing I liked about Who gets the dog is there has been a couple of kind of shy dogs. Although this is tough on the dog to go thru this, what would his chances have been of finding a good home without this? It may not be the best way but I think the hole idea is to try to get people to look into going thru shelters to get pets. I do think they mean well.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Looks like she's got a new owner. From the post, one of the Animal Planet crew members took her home.

I don't have cable out here in the Styx so I haven't seen any animal planet in a long time, but the animal cop program idea reminded me - so I'll throw it out there for you to gnaw on: I used to think police dogs and dogs (and other animals..(epiphany.
Did you know that the Animal Cops show is all about the Humane Society in whatever area they are in and they go and rescue neglected/abused animals?

I HATE the idea of using dolphins for military purposes or ANY animal for that matter. Makes me
Old 02-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Playful Husky Pup

I think she meant that the name Animal Cops reminded her of police dogs

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 02-10-2005, 11:50 PM
Felurian

Thanks, Pits! That's exactly the case. I haven't seen cable TV in so long I have no idea what's on any of the networks anymore, lol!

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-11-2005, 08:16 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i am sitting here trying to picture in my mind what the dog would be thinking..first thank god I am out of the shelter..oh boy these people are great, why am I leaving,
ok these people are nice, i am a bit stressed, oh crap..why am I leaving..i think i am tired, ok, i am stressed too..maybe these people are great but oh gee, i will probably be leaving. Think he would have post stress enough from leaving the shelter? Now he will have bonding issues as well.