Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 08-20-2004, 03:17 PM

Ok...just a little different perspective here...what IF the producers screened families very carefully.........found that they really, really wanted a pup and were going to get one from the rescue....what if this family were sincere. Yes...there might be some jitters from the pup being passed around. BUT...if these families were truly sincere...and the pup held a bond with just one and found a home..........wouldn't that be something good?? Think about it...the pup is in rescue anyway.........what harm could there be IF....IF...IF....it did find a home where it would be welcomed and loved?? OK....tacky on TV....but still it could be something ok. Just a thought. I figure pups in rescue don't have much of a chance anyway....anything might be a hope.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:53 PM
Felurian

One would hope that the impetus behind a show like this would be to create interest in adopting a shelter dog, but yeesh, the lack of responsibility in the way it's being done. Wouldn't it be better to show three different families, adopting three different dogs from three different shelters or rescues and follow their progress?

Why does even the adoption of a family pet have to devolve into a competition?
Old 11-08-2004, 06:59 PM
agilitydobemom

I quit watching Animal Planet along time ago they make me so darn made I just want to climb in the tv and choke the people on the shows I will never forget one of the episodes on thats my baby where the people were breeding their cats they had gotten from the animal shelter (and they were suppose to be nerutered) because they wanted their children to experience it what idiots I think this channel is utterly ridiculous anymore and as for this new show what are they thinking?????
Old 11-09-2004, 06:19 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I seriously used to watch Animal Planet religously, but now, maybe because I've taken more knowledge in about animals, or because I've watched it So much everything on there just frustrates me. I only occasionally watch Breed All About It (which I find sometimes judgmental and unfair to certain breeds, but at the sametime informative and interesting ) or Animal Precenct. I Can't watch any of the Animal Cops because they immeadiatly put down the Pits regardless of temperment, Adoption Tales, any of those crazy shoes. I know nobodys perfect, but sometimes I think the match (of dogs w/the ppl) is very wrong.
Basically, exept for Law and Order Specail Victims Unit (which I do watch religously ) I don't watch much TV. I've made my life my own animal planet that revolves around *guess who* and the kids at the day care

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 02-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Puppy Dog

I personally love the Animal Planet network. I've watched the, "Who gets the Dog", show three or four times now and have found nothing wrong with it. There is a lot of discussion about the basics of training, what to do and what not to do, what to expect from adopting a new dog, etc. I think it's very informative and gets people more interested in adopting from a pound instead of buying from a breeder or *gasp* a pet store.

My true heros in life are the folks on the Animal Cops show. I watch it an cringe but am pleased that there is this kind of exposure of what's going on all around us.

And what about Emergency Vets? C'mon guys...
Old 02-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Top Dog

I watch Animal Planet whenever I can. I don't care for some of the shows they have going, but I do like the dog shows, the Animal Miracles, Emergancy Vets, Animal Cops, Animal Precient(sp?), and stuff like that. I do NOT care for the 'That's my baby' show, and I've never seen the "Who gets the Dog". At first glance, it seems like a very bad show that would just confuse the dog to no end, but I've never seen it so I can't judge.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Top Dog

I watch who gets the dog, most the time its not that bad. They mainly are watching the people, how well they interact with the dog. Watch for any kind of warning signs that says maybe this isnt the right person for this dog. Most of the dogs seem to take their adventures well, but I've seen a couple dogs now that act scared and unsure of what is going on. Those are sad to watch.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Top Dog

I thought it would be horrible but I watched it and while it was sad it was not as bad as I expected. I thought the one evaluater lady was a bit nuts though! I think it is good because there are people that don't know you can get a good dog at a shelter and if they see people trying hard to get one maybe it will make them think about it.

I've started to hate most of the animal cop shows though. The new york is ok but al the other ones seem to automatically put pits down and make some really dumb comments.

But if anyone saw the one with the lady adopting the blind horse the lady that got them is like five houses down the street from me. I thought some of the stuff they did on there was pretty dumb and sometimes there pasture has literally 30 horses in it so I'm not sure if they were the best people for that. Some times there isn't a single one out though so I'm clueless as to where they go.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Playful Husky Pup

I hate this show and here's a big reason why. Remember Stella the staffie cross that was adopted out on that show? Check this out.

A follow-up on Stella:

Quote:
In her episode, Stella, a Pointer-Greyhound-Stratfordshire Terrier mix, chose Arsineh, Craig and their dog Charlie as her perfect family. All was well until a trip to the dog park, where park goers mislabeled her a vicious pit bull. While nothing could be farther from the truth about Stella's breeding or personality, the stereotype stuck and her new family decided not to take the chance. The reality is, not all pet adoptions are a match made in pooch heaven. So, a member of the Who Gets the Dog? crew, with his own animal menagerie, chose Stella instead. Read her happily-ever-after story, as told by her new owner, Ted.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 02-10-2005, 03:43 AM
Big German Shepherd

I feel bad...I liked the show but I mainly watched it for the dogs and that animal behaviorist woman; I learn a lot from her and she doesn't look so bad either .