Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 07-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Default Here's our new lovebird, Squeegie

Well since I've been having such a string of bad luck (with my hubby's ex and the cats and not getting to take my vacation this week) my husband (the sweet and wonderful man that he is) allowed me to get my birthday present early. So we went to his friend's house and picked up their lovebird, it was their daughter's and she stopped taking care of it immediately so they don't want it anymore. My husband named the bird Squeegie and it's a 14 week old Hybrid Fisher Lutino lovebird. I guess my who we got it from knows someone who hand raises lovebirds and that's how they got this bird. So far it's doing ok, I'm giving it time to itself in it's cage, it's pretty freaked out from all the new adjustments, but it shared some bread with me and it's interested in us so that's a good sign. So here's my new birdie (sorry it's in it's cage it's too scared to let it out for pictures yet).

Old 07-15-2005, 03:33 PM
Top Dog

What a beautiful bird

Lucy

~ My Blog ~
Old 07-15-2005, 03:47 PM
Top Dog

beautiful
Old 07-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Thanks! I have it out now (we're just assuming it's a boy) and he's sitting on the arm of the computer chair while I type. He's being really sweet, doesn't quite yet know the up command though and still sort of scared of my hand. I'm just glad that he's willing to sit this close to me and not freak out. I think I can get him tamer though, I atleast want to teach him the up command. He likes to bite me though, not really hard just hard enough to let me know he doesn't like something. I think it's just hard for him to climb up on my hand so he has to bite a little hard to get up. They clipped his nails and I cut his wings before we brought him home today.

Old 07-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Love my pets

What a beautiful bird!
Old 07-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Rusty but Trusty

here's a better picture of him, minus the cage.

Old 07-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Top Dog

ohhh he's so sweet. If you have any questions with him, I have an Umbrella Cockatoo and while I know they are two entirely different birds, I might be able to help you with some.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Rusty but Trusty

he bites, that's the only thing I'm trying to work out, how to get him to stop bitine. If you just leave him alone he's fine, but as soon as you go to pet or pick him up he'll bite you. Not drawing blood but it's pretty hard. I'm hoping he's just not used to us yet. He was so sweet when we went to pick him up I think now he figures he can act normal agian.

Old 07-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Top Dog

Let him warm up to you. Birds are tempermental and when there is a new homing, they need to trust you before they open up to you. As with any animal, birds seem to be the most offensive at first. They are caged for the most part and depending on where they came from, caged all the time and/or abused, he needs to see that he is safe, the cage actually becomes their haven. I understand your new fellow was not abused, but even mine is caged for about 50% or more during the day and that's all they know.

Usually when my U2 bits which is hardly ever, I will give him a time out and put him in his cage for a bit. Then in 5 mins I'll come back and say "you hurt mommy". He'll come up to the edge of the cage and lower his head and squawk. LOL he's so sweet. Then I let him out again. Try telling your bird 'ouch' or 'be careful' when you see him trying to bite, that worked with me and Reagan. Be careful works the best with us.

Also, try keeping him in the cage and every once in a while in a soft voice just say hi sweetie or something like that. Don't just dart in and try having him step up. Give him some time to know you and feel safe.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Rusty but Trusty

He's SO freaked of me in his cage, today I got him to except some a seed from me though. Usually if I open the cage door he will come right out, and try to get up on my shoulder right away (then he will bite and attack my ear and neck). I don't like him being on my shoulder right now because he will just try to get higher and higher up and I know birds shouldn't be higher than you are. He'll be fine out of his cage for awhile but then after like half an hour he'll get bitey and very pushy. I don't know if he was abused at all, he just wasn't taken care of. Thankfully they didn't have him very long though.