Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-15-2005, 05:11 PM
Rusty but Trusty

They are I paid the same amount for a 40 lb bag of Nutro as I do for a 33 lb bag of Eagle Pack. I pay I don't even remember what size bag of Innova I get for Shelby but it cost me 15 and it's like a 10 lb bag. I just threw out her bag and I'm too lazy to walk outside and check. Her bag lasts her lasted her for like a month and a half though.

Old 07-15-2005, 05:24 PM
yuckaduck

Cool gotta look into that. He seems to eat anything so I have a bit of time to research and then figure out what to feed. Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:46 PM
Lhasa Apso lover

I was in the same boat with my puppy that I just got. The breeder told me to get a grocery store brand because it was less expensive but high quality and the vet said science diet. Everyone I talked to had a different opinion. Everyone was telling me things like to avoid by products and things like that. It was hard for me because my dog can't have lamb because it will make her skin itch and the only foods without lamb had by products so I stressed about it for a while and then finally had to make a decsion. I just stuck with the science diet I give her small puppy kibbles and will probably keep her on the puppy food for a year and then switch to adult.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:55 PM
yuckaduck

Each to their own really. What is good for you may not be good for someone else and I figure the most important thing is that the dog gets fed. What you can afford and what you decide on is another matter. My best friend who is very sarcastic told me feed him shavings if you want it is your dog and up to you. It is no one elses business. But I think there is better out there than shavings. He is so funny, cracks me up everytime I see him. Point is no one has the right to make anyone feel bad for what they feed. Advise, tell your experiences and then we all make up our own minds. The husband says were are going to go with the Kirkland Signature[chicken and rice], he's the one who works; he's the one who makes the money so he can decide how to spend it. He wants to feed that so be it as long as the dog is fed and grows up healthy I'm happy. The only other thing is they don't have a puppy so is it ok to switch to an adult at such a young age. I have had people say he should be on an adult now anyway but I really don't know for sure. We need someone to study this and then tell us all. Great ideas though and I love to learn so keep them comin.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Quigleyfied

nutro is really a waste of money. yeah, it's a decent mainstream food and better than many other popular foods, but you are paying a premium price for a fgood that contains less than 30% real meat. the rest is grains, fillers and a small amount of mineral and vitamin supplements.

just as an example, nutro lamb and rice adult has 340 kcal per cup, canidae has 466. they both come in 40 lb bags and in my area pretty much cost the same (between $29 and $26 per bag, depending on where you buy and if you have coupons).

strictly by caloric density every cup of canidae supplies over 30% more nutrition than the nutro, so 40 lbs are going to last much longer, effectively reducing your daily feeding cost.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-15-2005, 06:15 PM
yuckaduck

Thank you for laying it out a bit more, starting to make a bit more sense to me now. I am desperate to learn as much as I can so thank you.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Quigleyfied

sorry i forgot to address the puppy food vs. adult food topic.

you can feed a good quality adult food designated "for all lifestages". large breed puppies should not eat puppy food at all, it's better for their skeleton if they do not grow at maximum speed, and puppy food tends to be more nutrient dense, allowing for faster growth.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-15-2005, 06:51 PM
yuckaduck

That helps even more so I'm defenantly going with adult now I just have to decide which one. Thank you for again helping with my confused little mind.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:56 PM
Quigleyfied

make sure you check for the AAFCO designation "for all lifestages" tho. if it just says "for maintenance", it won't provide sufficient nutrition for a still growing puppy.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-15-2005, 07:17 PM
yuckaduck

Thank you will look at the bags closely to make sure. This a great forum boy have I been missing good information.