Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-15-2005, 12:30 PM
yuckaduck

Default what to feed?

I have a 4 month old german shepherd puppy who is eating Science Diet large breed puppy food right now. I thought this was good food until now but am very confused at what to feed. Adult or large breed puppy? What kind? It needs to be affordable [one income family] but I don't want him eating garbage. I thought maybe Kirkland Signature or Presidents Coice Nutrition 1st Any ideas on this Thanks
Old 07-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Top Dog

I have never heard of them but they don't seem that bad (finding the ingredients of Kirkland online is next to impossible though, but if what I saw is the right one I think Presidents choice would be better), but of course I'm no expert... I'm sure Mordy will be able to give you a better answer though.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:00 PM
yuckaduck

Thank you I am so confused because everyone has a different opinion and I just don't have the knowledge myself. Growing up the dogs were farm dogs and they got fed whatever was on sale at the time. My parents still feed ole roy and swear it is the best money can buy. Ok mom whatever you say?
Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:43 PM
Top Dog

yucka...
You will find MANY opinions of food here and sometimes it can get heated. I grew up with goldens that had very long lifespans and they just ate Purina. (not that I'm feeding grocery store dog food today). However, that was before the "gourmet" foods of today. Some are on an all raw diet. Others are on very expensive foods that are hard to find. It's an ongoing debate and don't be offended if you get very strong opions you may not agree with!
Old 07-15-2005, 03:51 PM
yuckaduck

Smile

As long as no one calls me nutso or stupid I can handle it. That's what happened on another forum and as a result I look elsewhere. I'm just information seeking because right now he's on the science diet and if that is not got I would prefer to feed something good. I don't want hip or elbow problems later in life because he grew to fast as a pup or was feed food that was not good enough. I love my dog very much, but on the other hand I can't afford raw or that is what he would be fed. My trainer say go with Kirkland Signature, my vet say stay with the SD and the breeder says President Choice 1st Nutitrion. So you can see why I'm confused .
I'm not knowledgable on this at all so all opinions are welcome.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckaduck
As long as no one calls me nutso or stupid I can handle it. That's what happened on another forum and as a result I look elsewhere. I'm just information seeking because right now he's on the science diet and if that is not got I would prefer to feed something good. I don't want hip or elbow problems later in life because he grew to fast as a pup or was feed food that was not good enough. I love my dog very much, but on the other hand I can't afford raw or that is what he would be fed. My trainer say go with Kirkland Signature, my vet say stay with the SD and the breeder says President Choice 1st Nutitrion. So you can see why I'm confused .
I'm not knowledgable on this at all so all opinions are welcome.
Thanks for the advice.
Yucka... check your PM...
Old 07-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Top Dog

Science Diet is really not good. Vets usually advise it because they're their sponsor or something... (I get SD packages and stuff).
Old 07-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I feed Eagle Pack and Innova. It's a little more expensive per bag but you feed less so it works out to about the same. I also fed Nutro Natural Choice to my dogs for a little bit and they really seemed to like it. Nutro is like $35 for a 40 lb bag. Plus if you sign up for their frequent buy program if you buy 10 bags you get the 11th free. I am in the same boat we have a limited income and have children to think about as well but we feel until we can't find a way to afford it we will keep feeding it to them. Especially our husky (who was diagnosed with cancer) needs the best food we can supply her with.

Old 07-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Top Dog

My best advice is to read Mordy's site (http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/), and compare prices. For example, here Innova is the same price as Nutro for a 33lbs bag (Nutro is 40lbs), but as you feed less of it, it's actually cheaper. And it's better food.

So you can look at the prices, the recommended dose for your dogs, and compare prices per day etc. Sometimes you can have pleasant surprises.

How much are those two foods? They seem close to nutro.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:06 PM
yuckaduck

Thank you very much will check it out.