Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Active Pup

Default Pls Help!!!!

I just got my dog for 1 day... he is 8months.... a silky terrier.... He keep on bark when noone is near him... and at night.... he does not want to sleep... can anyone tell me wat to do to keep him quiet and make him sleep?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:46 PM
Taco Dog

Lots of small dogs like to bark. I know mine does, she's a Chi. Terriers are very excitable little creatures anyway. A big dog in a small body. Plus, any dog will be nervous his first day in a new home. Let him get used to you and his surroundings, Allow him to explore so that nothing will be new to him. Socialize him. That is a very big thing. Socialize, socialize, socialize.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 07-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Top Dog

so he excessively barks, like none stop?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Active Pup

i just want to ask... if i take out my dog from its cage... and let it run about... will it be hard for me to make him sleep at night? Cause last night... i let him run about... but when is about 12++am... he does not want to sleep... and when i went to bed.... he keeps barking.... can tell me wat to do?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:57 PM
Top Dog

Can you ask your vet.Does he bark all throughout the day too?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Active Pup

he does not bark throughout... is just when noone went to play or talk to him... he will bark abit...
Old 07-13-2005, 08:02 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

if you have had him for only one day..do you know his past..you say cage..is that a kennel? is he inside or outside? when a dog first arrives he can be very stressed. the more you keep him with you the easier the adjustment will be..if he has been an outside dog all along..he may just be scared of a new enviorment..is it possible he might have been an inside house dog? there are so many reasons he might bark..all i can say is he needs to be with you as much as possible. My dog victor was just over excited..and really didn't sleep the first two days at all..he also didn't eat well for the first month..it is not easy to be picked up one place and deposited at another..when you have no idea what is going on...i don't remember if you said how old your dog is..that is a factor too..try to excersize your dog as much as you can right up to bedtime..you might ask your dog if there is something that might calm him down the first few days while he gets use to his new home..good luck and let us know if anything works.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-13-2005, 08:47 PM
Active Pup

so r u saying that for the first few days... it is normal?? and also.. for a 8mth silky terrier.... how much food should i give him?
Old 07-13-2005, 09:12 PM
Big German Shepherd

The first few days he'll whine and cry. And one thing, if you're about to go to sleep... don't play with him so much or he'll want to KEEP playing.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Felurian

You feed according to the weight of the dog. The amount should be on the dog food package if you are feeding dog food. If you're feeding home cooked or raw . . . well, I don't know how to work that out for a little dog, someone else can help you out with that, though, I'm sure, especially if you post a question about it in the food forum.

A tired pup is a good pup! Lots of play during the day, then quiet things down an hour or so before you're going to want to go to bed.

Your pup is going to be excited and a little stressed for a while, so lots of reassurance, affection and attention will go a long way to alleviating that. BUT - when it's time for bed, it's TIME FOR BED. Don't give in to the whining or your pup will figure out that whining and crying will get you out of bed and doing what he wants you to do! If he's sleeping in a crate, you might want to keep the crate in your room so he has some security. Dogs really don't like being alone.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian