Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 07-15-2005, 10:41 AM
yuckaduck

Question What to feed?

I know everybody asks and I'm even more confused now than before. I have a 4 month old german shepherd puppy who we love very much. What do I feed him.Right now he is on Science Diet large breed puppy, but from what I'm reading that is not good [ and I thought it was one of the best ] shows what I know. I'm looking for good quality but affordable as I have two toddlers to look after on one income. I don't want to feed garbage. I was told large breed puppy food, then just plain adult food. AHHH I don't know and the smoke is coming out of my ears. What about Kirkland Signature from Cosco? Ingridients look good but I don't know. Also Presidents Choice Nutrition 1st. The cheapness of them makes me leary. I have behavioural problems as well with this little guy oops big guy he is 40 pounds at 4 months. Going to be a big dog. He has started peeing in his crate and then sleeping in it rather than asking to go out. I have always gotten up happily when he has asked to go out but now he just pees and then sleeps in it. He has seen the vet and had all the tests including blood work to be sure no health problems. He is healthy but still does it. Not every night but at least three times a week. I have to bath him because he is covered in pee so now we are going to run into skin problems. Vicous circle, any help would be appreciated. Thanks. First time puppy owner here so please have patience with me.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Top Dog

For the food, I suggest you have a look at the food forum.

For the pee issue, do you give him water at night? If you do, remove it 2 hours before bed time. Otherwise, I would stop using the crate altogether if he pees in it, and just leave him in a puppy proof room.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Top Dog

Excellent suggestions Fran27...
Old 07-15-2005, 12:25 PM
yuckaduck

Default he pees

Sorry I don't have a puppy proof room and no ability to get one. Babygates don't work he just knocks them down, I take his water away at 9 pm bed time 11pm. He still does it once in awhile. He normally doesn't pee in the apartment when loose except at night if I leave him loose he destroys everything and pees and poops everywhere. So he needs to be confined I just can't get him to stop this. I did try the bathroom overnight as it is smaller but he still peed and pooped in there plus he chewed the cupboards and now we have to replace them. The rest of the apartment is like one big room, if I bring him in the bedroom with me and tie him on a short lease to the bed he howls and tries to jump on me all night. He's a tough puppy but I certainly appreciate all advice and will continue to try and get this sorted out. I have consulted a behaviouralist here but did not like the answer at all. She said just to leave him in the crate and make him sleep in his pee. Yuck, and no way. He's going to be sick if I do that and he won't learn to not pee if anything he will learn that it is normal to do this. At least that is my humble thoughts, I am not a trainer and don't wish to be but I do thank you for the help.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Love my pets

Question on the crate size; it should only be big enough for the puppy to turn around in and lay down. If it's bigger than that, they will usually pee in an area of the crate since there's enough room to pee in one area and sleep in another.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:35 PM
yuckaduck

I started with a full size but have snugged him up considerably. He can stand, turn around and to lie down and stretch he needs to put his feet through the bars. He just started this about a week maybe two weeks ago. Now he does it everytime he is in the crate. Usually it is just before I take him out, so I figure excited peeing, so I keep things super calm and non eventful but now he is even peeing in there overnight. He use to ask to go out and I would get up happily and take him out, rewards good boy cookies for going outside. Now he just does it and then curls up in it. He doesn't seem to notice. My husband says he is punishing us for crating him but dogs don't think that way, so that can't be it. Maybe he is just in a phase and will out grow it. I really don't know this is my first puppy ever so I know nothing about there little behaviours. Thanks for trying to help I will try anything at this point, well anything within reason. I'm not hanging him on the clothes line, even though sometimes I feel like it. HEHE
Old 07-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Top Dog

Yes, it's an annoying situation. My guess is he just never learned that he's not supposed to pee in his den (or forgot it if he was in a cage too long). In this case I would make the crate as big as possible to avoid him sleeping in his pee.

I think your best bet is to try to take him out during the night if you can, and to keep praising him when he pees outside. Eventually he should get a better control of his bladder and stop doing it, because peeing outside is just much more rewarding.

Try to get a puppy shampoo, or sensitive skin one, and to rince him for 10 minutes everytime. The good thing I guess is that when he's 70 lbs he should get used to baths and it shouldn't be too hard to give him one...

Good luck, sorry I don't have better advice for you
Old 07-15-2005, 01:39 PM
yuckaduck

Thank you he was stuck in a very tiny crate with five other puppies when I bought him. He had issues with the crate at first but seemed to clam down until this started. I will set my alarm and take him out around 2 am and see what happens. True he will know all about baths, I just worry about his skin but I am using sensitive skin tearless puppy shampoo well diluted right now. He gets a bath a day almost but I can't have him rolling around in the apartment covered in pee for the toddlers to play in. Then they'll be sick. He is good about the bath now, use to be real nasty but he just sits there now and waits till we are done.
I make a hugh deal out of peeing outside like he just gave me a million dollars. So hopefully you are right and he will get the hint. Everyone says he is real smart, yeah ok if you say so. I feel like I have Homer Simpson here sometimes. I will just keep trying and see what we get. I'll keep you posted, thanks again you have great ideas.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Top Dog

I know its frustrating and sometimes the dog will do what it does no matter what. Just hold on (it gets bumpy ) until he hits a point when he's old enough to control his blatter. They do eventually. Nora my 1 1/2 yr. old Westie was stubborn as on ox when it came to not peeing in the house and I still think she does very occasionally. As to the water, I pick up my dog's water dish at 7:30 and they usually conk out around 10:00. I take them out for one last hip hoorah (lol) around 9:00. Some dogs are more stubburn than others. I betcha he'll get it eventually.

All the advice given from everyone else was great.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:38 PM
yuckaduck

Thank you, I will try to hang in there. Will take water away abit sooner as well. Can't hurt! Thanks again.