Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-25-2008, 02:03 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Default Whole bird...

Buddy has his first experience with a whole bird today- it was quite funny- and I'm wondering if it has too much skin? A whole bird is two days of meals for him. The skin was so think I ended up taking quite a bit off. I'm wondering if it's okay for them to eat?

Old 05-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Felurian

I'd think the only problem might be some looser stools from the oil content of the skin, but nothing harmful. Unless you step in it

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Love my pets

OK, now I can't get the pic of nic stepping in loose dog poop from chicken skin!
Old 05-25-2008, 05:18 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Hahah, Barb. Me either.

I'll continue to take some of the skin off.. I don't want him to have runny stools. Ick.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:03 AM
just call me Nilly

Ya skin is pretty fatty, so it does result in loose poops. Sierra gets runny from just a quarter chicken with skin on! I can't imagine a whole bird! eek!

I take the skin off now, unless I'm giving her small pieces (like backs). It's a good precaution just so you don't have to deal with the poops!

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 05-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Walks into Mordor

I personally wouldn't worry about it too much. Mine eat whole birds with skin, no problems. Fattier raw foods don't seem to bother them one bit. But I dunno, it depends on if Buddy is used to it or not.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Queen of the Jungle

I give mine whole chickens whenever i get them on sale. Never had a problem with the skin here. Chickens (whole chickens) are bonier than meals I normally feed, so that extra bone tends to 'firm' things up.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Island dweller

I've never taken the skins off. Mine didn't have problems. I bet it really depends on the dog. The fats might even be good for his coat! Not that he doesn't look gorgeous already
Old 05-26-2008, 03:47 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I do worry about too much of anything... I don't want him to have runny poops.. lol I think I'll continue to take some of the skin off and we'll see how he does.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Island dweller

Better to be safe!