Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 05-24-2008, 02:16 AM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
Now I cant see the site on my cell but here show bred labs look like they are about 20lbs over weight but when you get your hands on them they are well conditioned
Very true. I was petting a lab who does conformation showing and gee whizz not fat at all. But he certainly looked like he had the same figure as a hippo. So long as they aren't lame then I don't really care. I use to see a bunch at the dog park who were crippled. Sad sight.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Yum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
Very true. I was petting a lab who does conformation showing and gee whizz not fat at all. But he certainly looked like he had the same figure as a hippo. So long as they aren't lame then I don't really care. I use to see a bunch at the dog park who were crippled. Sad sight.
aww, poor dogs! Hershey is 86 pounds, and used to be 98 pounds. I didn't know that he was overweight. But now you can feel his ribs, but not see them. I've seen fat labs everytime I go to Petsmart. Then I look at Hershey/Whisper, and am like wow, I have fit labs.

Thank you Christine!

A Dog is like an eternal Peter Pan,
a child who never
grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved
~Aaron Katcher~

"There aren't any bad dogs, there are only bad owners..." Off of the Movie Underdog
Old 05-24-2008, 10:49 AM
BusterLove

Harry look a lot like a show bred lab in his body type, like his neck is a bit long and his legs are a bit short, with that massive thick tail. Even when hhis weight is down he looks quite big still.

I'm not a big fan of a lot of the show labs I see, they just don't look quite right imo

Old 05-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Top Dog

I prefer the field labs myself...the show labs are so so so thick...and isn't the point of showing to judge the breed against the standard designed to say how well the dog is able to do the job they're bred for???

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Twin 2.0

I like Labs to look something like this.

(photo removed - Requested by owner)

Old 05-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Let it be

Hey Zoom want my neighbors dog? Looks exactly like Virgo except he's yellow. HUH HUH?
Old 05-24-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
I prefer the field labs myself...the show labs are so so so thick...and isn't the point of showing to judge the breed against the standard designed to say how well the dog is able to do the job they're bred for???
Well, imo a good lab shouldn't be thin. Some field lines to me are too thin. Labs are stocky dogs, but not fat. They need to be stocky with big, thick tails as water retrievers. But a well put together field lab isn't nearly as big as some show lines.

I have to say like that one show lab I posted, there are some nice ones out there. There are some people breeding more moderately. Some people also cross the lines, but those dogs tend to be really out of proportion to me. Some seem to be as thick as a bench lab, but with the thinner head and longer neck of a field dog. They just look wonky to me.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm All Ears

Speaking of labs, I found a couple pics of Pete, but he just looks like a black blob in them. He was so far away and the camera so bad and the pictures so old.

Ah well.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Top Dog

I like a nice blocky head and the body to go with it ! Maybe a combination of bench and field.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 05-24-2008, 04:17 PM
and Fozzie B!

(Photo removed - Requested by owner)

Sorry for the HUGE picture... but, seriously... does that dog LOOK well-conditioned to you? There is zero tuck-up. No identifiable waist. If I were a judge, I would ask them to leave and come back after their dog is at a healthy weight.

And she's one of the breeder's top females.

Sorry, but I would definitely look elsewhere. Yes, they're squishy and cute... but they don't appear to be anywhere near healthy. And, I would love to see that dog attempt to work for a day! A layering of fat is one thing, but that is several layers of fat. I can't even imagine her running and swimming for miles, I'm sure she would collapse within an hour. I like Labs to look like Virgo, too! ; D

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie