Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 06-09-2008, 02:21 AM
Zoom's Avatar
Zoom Zoom is offline
Twin 2.0
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 40,737
Default

Virgo, for all that she looks to be "thin", handles cold water just fine. I wondered about that, but after watching her purposefully break through ice in order to go swimming, I quit wondering and just started watching. She'll do 2 hours straight without a second thought...if I quit throwing the ball so she'll take a breather, she just paddles around on her own for the sheer love of being in the water.

If you think she looks thin though, go take a look at the dogs that do Dock Diving.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 06-09-2008, 05:20 AM
Squishy22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2416 View Post
I personally like this one I wish there would have been a actual standing pic of him
Now THAT lab is absolutely perfect in my mind. Not too short and stocky. Awesome tuck. Hes got perfect height to him. And he absolutely does NOT look like a weimeraner, lol. He looks like he could be a badass worker... unlike some labs in posted in this thread.

Those labs Zoom posted look pretty good too.

My opinion anyway.

Now I'm posting like a lab person and I dont even own one!!!
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 06-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Spirit2010's Avatar
Spirit2010 Spirit2010 is offline
Yum...
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
Now THAT lab is absolutely perfect in my mind. Not too short and stocky. Awesome tuck. Hes got perfect height to him. And he absolutely does NOT look like a weimeraner, lol. He looks like he could be a badass worker... unlike some labs in posted in this thread.

Those labs Zoom posted look pretty good too.

My opinion anyway.

Now I'm posting like a lab person and I dont even own one!!!
lol, he is perfect! I love him. The standard for Labs is probably hard to judge, because they have gotten so popular??? Everyone has a different view of them, and likes a different build on them. But I don't like the ones that are too thick, or fat. The ones like this yellow boy are stunning. But, I am learning a lot more about Labs, because everyone has a different view! They should change the standard? I don't know.
__________________


Thank you Christine!

A Dog is like an eternal Peter Pan,
a child who never
grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved
~Aaron Katcher~


"There aren't any bad dogs, there are only bad owners..." Off of the Movie Underdog
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 06-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Squishy22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit2010 View Post
lol, he is perfect! I love him. The standard for Labs is probably hard to judge, because they have gotten so popular??? Everyone has a different view of them, and likes a different build on them. But I don't like the ones that are too thick, or fat. The ones like this yellow boy are stunning. But, I am learning a lot more about Labs, because everyone has a different view! They should change the standard? I don't know.
Well, breeding should be about preserving the breed... not to change it to what you think is visual pleasing. Thats how I see it!!
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 06-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Spirit2010's Avatar
Spirit2010 Spirit2010 is offline
Yum...
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
Well, breeding should be about preserving the breed... not to change it to what you think is visual pleasing. Thats how I see it!!
I agree about what you said. (sometimes I can't get out what I really mean)
__________________


Thank you Christine!

A Dog is like an eternal Peter Pan,
a child who never
grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved
~Aaron Katcher~


"There aren't any bad dogs, there are only bad owners..." Off of the Movie Underdog
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 07-07-2008, 02:15 AM
HarleyD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I agree with Reggin as well. It's about preseving (and bettering the health/abilities) the breed. If you start changing things because it's what you like, but not breed standards then you basically become a byb of sorts.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 07-07-2008, 06:04 AM
mrose_s's Avatar
mrose_s mrose_s is offline
BusterLove
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: QLD, Australia
Posts: 12,155
Default

Maybe its a show thing? You look at a lot of breeds and the show lines compared to the working lines.

Border Collies
Kelpies (a bench kelpie is almost unrecognisable next to a working kelpie)
labradors

All show lines seem shorter and stockier and that alone would limit their working ability imo.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 07-07-2008, 08:52 AM
SisMorphine's Avatar
SisMorphine SisMorphine is offline
Your Mom
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s View Post
Maybe its a show thing? You look at a lot of breeds and the show lines compared to the working lines.

Border Collies
Kelpies (a bench kelpie is almost unrecognisable next to a working kelpie)
labradors

All show lines seem shorter and stockier and that alone would limit their working ability imo.
I've found it isn't just a show thing, it's tends to be people to breed for looks and only looks.

I know in the Alapaha world there are two main types: one is lighter, longer muzzles, bred to work but still bred to the physical standard set by the woman who started the breed. The other has a "bully" look (shorter muzzles, heavier, often front end issues). Not only do these two types of Alapahas look very different, but they also have different working abilities. The latter gets gassed WAY quicker than the one that is lighter with a longer muzzle.

I think it would be fantastic if the two side could get together and quit fighting, but the thing is one side is fighting for health and working ability, while the other is fighting for what type is easier to sell. THAT is where it gets sad to me. When a dog can't effectively, and healthily, work for it's original purpose.
__________________

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site