Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Crazy Dog!

Default Self Control Games

I know y'all have 'em! What are your favorite self control games.

I have a headstrong girl that needs touchup work on her self control, especially while stimulated. I'm out of ideas, so any suggestions are welcome!
Old 05-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Top Dog

Do you get Clean Run magazine? There's almost always an article on some sort of self-control each month. There was a special issue that I think you can still order on their website on Control and Motivation.

I have yet to try any, as Meg needs to be wound up like a toy car to work; we were paying more attention to the motivation articles!

Old 05-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Crazy Dog!

Yeah, I get cleanrun. Just seeing if anyone on here had any ideas I haven't done yet. Always looking for something different.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Top Dog

What kinds of things have you tried?
Old 05-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

How about: Focus on me (make eye contact) when something very very interesting is going on in the background??

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-18-2008, 12:05 PM
RedyreRottweilers

We play the LOOK GAME here, starting VERY young. Puppies learn to make eye contact to get a reward. Once they learn this, I begin distractions by holding the treats out with my hands where they can see them.

No lookie, no cookie.

We work up to stronger and stronger distractions.

No lookie, no cookie.

I also begin requiring dogs to hold position quietly at an early age. I don't use the stay command, however, if the dog breaks position they are put back.

We practice this self control exercise first at home, and then in as many public places with distraction that we can find.

And finally my dogs learn very early to lie with chin on floor while we are eating. This is the only way they get a reward from the plate. They learn quickly what is required, and this builds to excellent self control and good behavior around others who are eating as well.

These are a couple of the ones that I use to teach puppies/dogs self control.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Top Dog

Lol Red...No Lookie No Cookie is the perfect name for that game. It makes me laugh. I'm putting that in my user title thing.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Ozzy & Jagger Rock!

Two thumbs up for the "No Lookie, No Cookie" game ... I play that game too from a very early age.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Top Dog

You have probably done these, but I'll list them anyways lol.

The 1, 2, 3 Game.
Want Da Cookie.
And of course, get them all pumped up when going outside, ask for a sit or a down, open the door and leave without releasing.

Thats all I can think of at this time............brains not working very good this weekend.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Snow Girl

One I like to do is to get the dog very interested in a toy (especially if its a favourite) and start playing fetch with it. After you throw it and the dog is going after it, call the dog off the retrieve and have him/her return to you. After he has returned release him to go get the toy then just as he is approching it tell him to "leave it" or "wait" whatever command you want so he doesnt grab it. Have him do a series of commands (sit, down, sit again, come, release back to the toy once more, sit...etc) and then finally reward by releasing the dog to get his toy for a play session. This can be done with food too.

Ronan is so funny with this game since he doesnt care much for food or toys. When I tell him to "wait" before grabbing the toy or treat, he looks at me then will walk away from the whole scene like "fine, i really dont want it that bad anyways lady, its all yours!". OC is a much better candidate for this game LOL

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"