Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Active Pup

Default Barking Please help

I have a puppy who is 6 months old and his barking is out of control. If I leave my apartment he barks the entire time. I fear his barking is going to get me evicted and I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice of what I can do to stop this. About a month ago I bought this collar that sprays a citronells scent every time he barks but it's not stopping him and I spent a over 100 dollars on it. I can't stay in my apartment all the time I need to go out for groceries and stuff. Please help.
Thanks
Old 05-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Original Twin

I bought one of the ultrasonic table top units for my dogs and it works like a charm. It was 39 bucks too. See this thread for more info.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Top Dog

It's very possible this could be a separation anxiety problem - where dogs literally have a panic attack the whole time they're left alone. If that is the case, using aversives to stop the barking will only make the separation anxiety worse.... you would only be trying to stop the symptoms, not the underlying problem. I'd suggest searching this forum or the internet for info on separation anxiety, and also get a trainer/behaviorist to evaluate your specific situation to determine if it is actually SA, and write up a plan to help fix it.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Active Pup

After reading a bit of info on the seperation anxiety I think you may be right. It's does fit. Now I feel bad for the poor little guy. I'm going to call my vet on Monday and see if he can help or refer me to someone who can. Thank you very much for the help.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Top Dog

Sounds good! You can also check out www.apdt.com for a trainer search.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Active Pup

I like to see people refer to the APDT as Lizzybeth727 just did, as those are trainers -- from many parts of the world -- who are using positive training methods. They do vary a lot in how they define the term, though, so ask questions to find someone you can work with if you go that route. Best wishes!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Original Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
It's very possible this could be a separation anxiety problem - where dogs literally have a panic attack the whole time they're left alone. If that is the case, using aversives to stop the barking will only make the separation anxiety worse.... you would only be trying to stop the symptoms, not the underlying problem. I'd suggest searching this forum or the internet for info on separation anxiety, and also get a trainer/behaviorist to evaluate your specific situation to determine if it is actually SA, and write up a plan to help fix it.
Der on my part. Maybe I should post when I am actually awake.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Big Dog

Try looking for tools like Petsafe Collar to control your dog's barking here: www.barkcontrolcollar-4less.com

Good luck!

No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:14 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
Der on my part. Maybe I should post when I am actually awake.
amen,,, my neighbor's jack russel now barks several octaves higher, but barks none the less. I know it hasn't had the vocal cords snipped becuase it can bark regularly too. they go out of town and shove the dog outside for a night or two. SHeesh. CAn u find a sitter?

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Top Dog

If it's true separation anxiety, positive punishment methods (like bark collars) are going to make the SA much worse.