Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Top Dog

Unhappy Bad Results From Wet Canidae Dog Food

I'm experiencing problems with Candiae as well. They were doing fine with it, until 3 days ago when I fed some new cans of the wet. I've fed them some of the wet before, and had no problems. Now the have loose stools and some vomitting. I'm not going to feed the wet anymore and see if the do ok with the dry.

My sister's dog Lucky got ill first. Went to the vets found out it was a bacteria from water. I'm thinking its the water in the wet food. None of the dogs drank from an other water source then what the usuall dog and the never contracted anything from it.

If the loose stools and vomitting continue even still with the dry, I'm going back to feeding Nutro. The did fine on it, I would try Evo, but with these results from switching dog foods not sure if my mom will be too fond of the idea. But I hear Nutro is having some problems too, sigh. Please hope that it was only this batch of canned food that's making them ill and I can continue to use this brand of dog food, they're doing real good on it until now.

I've also from an old batch of canned food of Canidae found some bone fragments in it, I should of stopped using the canned food once I saw that.

Looks like I'm not the only one either. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/canidae.html

Old 05-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Top Dog

Lucky now doesn't want to touch the dry.

Last edited by Juicy; 05-17-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Backward_Cinderella

Put some gravy in it, and slowly decrease the amount of gravy you put in. That's how I start mine on a new dry food if they don't want it. I don't feed wet at all.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backward_Cinderella View Post
Put some gravy in it, and slowly decrease the amount of gravy you put in. That's how I start mine on a new dry food if they don't want it. I don't feed wet at all.
He was eating it fine till he got sick.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Ozzy & Jagger Rock!

I just switched from Canidae ALS to Innova EVO for Ozzy & Innova Puppy for Jagger. After reading this: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/canidae.html, I traded out my bag of Canidae for new food. I was very disappointed that I emailed Canidae & they took 3 weeks to return what I considered to be an inappropriate response to my concerns.

Both of my dogs did very well on the Canidae ALS kibble but I have problems supporting a company that can take 3 weeks to address my concerns. I'm so disappointed.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:11 PM
I love my Sancho

Mine has been on Canidae ALS kibble for almost a year now and if anything I have seen nothing but positive results. I'm so sorry your pups got sick Those stories on that website were quite frightening.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Top Dog

I'm getting better stiffer stools now with only feeding dry, still get some runny though. Hopefully its the wet that was the problem.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Ozzy & Jagger Rock!

I was also very disappointed reading that site. You never know how much credence to put into things you find on the web though & I'm thinking I might have overreacted by taking my boys, who were doing well, off the Canidae ALS. However, having said that, I did contact Canidae the minute I saw that website & bought a different brand of food the next day to await their response.

It took them 3 weeks to get back to me with a response I considered to be unacceptable. With that in mind, I have no intentions of going back to Canidae (at least not yet).

I linked them to the website above & this response came to me 3 weeks later:

Quote:
Always, if our customers contact us with a concern about one of our products
we do everything possible to investigate and resolve the matter. Just so you
are aware we currently do not have, nor have we had any problems with our
products that would cause illness.

Sincerely,
Team Canidae
Their reply very well may be true; however, I didn't appreciate the canned answer that came so late.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:20 PM
not so newby

I to was feeding Canidae until recently. My dogs were doing great on it, then all of the sudden all of them had loose stools and were sick all the time. I'm starting to wonder what's going on with Canidae, I'm hearing about all sorts of problems that people are having. I'm wondering if maybe they didn't switch their formula?

I have since switched to Eagle Pack and haven't had any problems.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Top Dog

I'd be careful, there something going wrong with Nutro food now as well!

Innova guys, Innova.