Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Backward_Cinderella

Default Balanced Bland Diet? Help?

Our vet says Doom needs to not have any regular dog food four about 2 weeks after he starts eating. What should I feed him when he starts eating again? He ate a few pieces of hamburger a few minutes ago...

Any way, I'd like this to be as nutritional and balanced as possible. What do you guys give when you feed bland? Especially you Parvo experts here!

Looking forward to your replies, and thanks in advance!! ((Hugs))
Old 05-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I fed Oz boiled hamburger and rice pretty much for a week or so after he got Parvo...

I don't know now if that was the best thing but thats what I did. And I slowly added other stuff to it like carrots (baby ones) and potatoes and peas and stuff...
Old 05-15-2008, 07:06 PM
My house is a zoo

Boiled hamburger or chicken and rice are great. Make sure it's white rice though and not brown rice. You can substitute the rice with cream of wheat but most dogs prefer the rice. Cottage cheese is good as well and I always added a raw egg to the mixture after a week or so.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Lord Cynical

Boiled chicken (white meat) and rice... blandest diet I can think of!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 05-16-2008, 04:01 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backward_Cinderella View Post
Our vet says Doom needs to not have any regular dog food four about 2 weeks after he starts eating. What should I feed him when he starts eating again? He ate a few pieces of hamburger a few minutes ago...

Any way, I'd like this to be as nutritional and balanced as possible. What do you guys give when you feed bland? Especially you Parvo experts here!

Looking forward to your replies, and thanks in advance!! ((Hugs))
We have always done boiled chicken breast and rice, here, occasionally throwing some ground or shredded beef into the boil for variety.

After a week or so, you can add some yogurt or cottage cheese, and maybe an egg or green beans as time goes by and his digestive tract heals.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Twin 2.0

You're not going to totally knock his system out of whack with the chicken/rice combo for a week straight. Maybe once he gets used to food and stuff again, you can give him little bits of Nutri-cal for added calories. I wouldn't worry for at least a week about being balanced...you've got a protein and a carb, that's pretty balanced. And you're not feeding it forever.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Big Dog

If you're just feeding the bland diet for a week or two, you don't have to worry about balancing it. If you're going to be feeding it long term, then yes, you'll want to make sure you've got everything covered.