Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Monte

Red face Fruit and nuts for treats

Hi, I am new to Chazhounds and I love it already. I have 2 miniature Puddles with a bit of mix somewhere up the tree.
I have a couple of questions about dog treats. I give my dogs, Monte and
Kobe a piece of Banana and almonds now and then. Is this type of treat O.K.? I was wondering if their dry dog food would clean their teeth after eating almonds?
I also give them green peppers and carrots, but only in small pieces.
I mostly give them regular dog treats though.
Thanks for any guide lines. Lloyd from Wisconsin
Old 05-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Twin 2.0

Almonds are poisonous to dogs, so I would stop giving those immediately.

Bananas are fine though, as are the peppers and carrots.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Bored Now.

Oh, it's fine. I love to give Middie peanuts and stuff as treats... and candied pineapple.. it comes in trail mix and I hate it, so he gets it when we work on ignoring the kitty, because he would do ANYTHING for candied pineapple.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Monte

Default Thanks Zoom for the advice

Zoom thanks for the warning about Almonds; I never knew that.
I better give thanks for Chazhound. I may have never asked anyone
without this great forum.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Active Pup

You know we used to give grapes to our dog and found out that given in large quanities...I still give them to our new dog and they have never had a problem with just one or 3. I also give my dog carrots and she loves them. People food is ok, but you want to research it before so you know what is bad for them and what is not. If you are looking for more treats try looking at different websites and everything for different treats.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:57 PM
not so newby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy10 View Post
You know we used to give grapes to our dog and found out that given in large quanities...I still give them to our new dog and they have never had a problem with just one or 3. I also give my dog carrots and she loves them. People food is ok, but you want to research it before so you know what is bad for them and what is not. If you are looking for more treats try looking at different websites and everything for different treats.

I just read the other day that the toxins in the grapes actually build up in your dog. So even though your not feeding large amounts, they may still be toxic to your dog after time.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24544541/ scroll down the middle of the page
Old 05-20-2008, 08:58 PM
not so newby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy10 View Post
sorry double post
Old 05-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Active Pup

My dog loves fresh fruits and vegetables. He likes tomatoes, watermelon (no seeds, of course), cantaloupe, red, yellow, green, etc. Peppers, carrots, even lettuce!

He'll also do ANYTHING for cheese. I keep cheese cubes in the fridge for snacking, and when he's been a really good boy, or he's leaning something new, I give him those for treats.

I'm new here, too, Monte, and I love it here, too. It's here that I learned that rawhide can kill your dog. My dog wouldn't chew it anyway. He always burried it with his other "bones" in his blankets. Guess to hide them, protect them from being stolen (by the cat, perhaps? lol) and save them for later. It's a good thing he never tried to eat them. (he now only hides his milkbones and he has a nylabone, too. He still won't chew on them, or try to eat the milkbones, but he'll lick them sometimes.)

Everyone here is so nice. And they're quick to help educate you and teach you things instead of ripping your head off when you don't know something.

Welcome to Chazhound, Monte!!!

Coffee...