Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-14-2005, 12:46 AM
Felurian

Trust me, inside an apartment you really, really want a sofa 'tater, lol! For one thing, it keeps the neighbors from complaining about you and your dog and getting you invited to find other accomodations . . . Once these dogs get outside they're ready to exercise, and that's where you want them to get cranked up, not in the apartment.

A Dogo is a real no-no in an apartment . . . comparable to trying to keep a Fila in an apartment - a really bad match all around. Steer clear of herding breeds, whatever you do . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-16-2005, 01:15 AM
totally awesome

not evena corgi? ****. I wasn't planning on keeping a dogo in an apartment,t hey're just my favorite breed, lol. When I have one, I'm goign to have acreage, lol. And a pond. That is just my dog dream. Maybe I'll even breed them. But that's WAY in the future. I mean, a year or 2 is far enough away as is. so no one knows ANYTHING about english cockers?
Is it a reasonable fear to think that a greyhound might not come when called at a dog park? so they like water at all? What about whippets? can you get those retired?
Old 07-17-2005, 02:52 PM
yuckaduck

I have a two bedroom apartmen and a german shepherd who is fine but I walk him 4 times a day and not little 5 min walks. Two walks are over an hour and the in between walks are 30-40 mins of ball chasing or running around with other dogs. If he misses a walk he is full of beans and a bit of a pain in the butt. Just know the expectations of the breed and be willing to give what it needs or else look at something else.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Felurian

Corgi's are militant little herders! They have to make up for their small size with attitude to be able to move animals that are SOOOOO much larger. With a Corgi you get a whole lotta dog - and a dog who isn't shy about telling you or anyone else it's opinion - in a compact package.

Sighthounds are just what the name implies - they follow by sight and that's their primary focus. I wouldn't ever feel secure turning one loose in an unrestricted area. There are always compromises to be made, especially when you're dealing with apartment life where you are close to other people. Yuck's got her hands full! But she's dedicated and German Shepherds tend to be pretty adaptable, wanting to take care of their people, which to their mindset, includes keeping their people happy. Sometimes, though, they will get an idea in their heads that they have a much better idea of how to take care of you than you do . . . and sometimes they're right, lol!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-17-2005, 04:09 PM
yuckaduck

That is very true, I have my hands full but I have two little kids as well. We hope to have a house soon as the older Yukon gets the more energy he will have and he will be to big for an apartment. It is tough when you are so close to neighbours and in such confined places.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:05 PM
totally awesome

So, back to cocker spaniels. Yes or no?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Top Dog

I personally think it's the individual dog, not the breed. If I lived in an apt. and wanted a dog, I'd go rescue ( of whatever breed I was interested in )and do a trial. any of my dogs (goldens) wouldn't mind apt. life. EliNHunter's X rescued a lab to an apt. I would not " try" a puppy.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:52 AM
Felurian

If I were considering a Cocker for an apartment I would DEFINITELY go to a breed rescue and look for an adult. Cockers' temperaments and personalities are all over the scale due to their overwhelming popularity some years back and all of the backyard breeders that got into the Cocker business. That's the only way you'd have any chance of knowing if that particular dog could live happily in an apartment.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Show Dog

I read that you were interested in grey hounds but worried about your cat, most are fine w/ cats. After a grey hound retires they are place in forster homes a taught how to be dogs. Going from living in a crate, around other dog of their kind only and not much contact w/ humans, they need to learn a lot. Like what steps are, and walking on a leash and couch... they love couches. So this time in forster care is very very important. Also inforster care they find out if they are ok w/ cats, other dogs, etc. Most grey hounds are actually fine w/ cats.
They seem like they are a bit large but they can fit into a small space and love it. They can be major couch potatoes and a relatively easy to care for. 1 major thing is that you either need a fenced yard or they most always be on a leash. If they see something and get into chase mode then they will forget where they are and just chase and possibly get lost. They lose sight of every thing but what they are chasing and can't find their way back home. So leash or fenced yard or evena dog park if needed. Some rescues have your read a book I think it's called the grey hound handbook. It is wonderfull and very helpfull. We are thinking of being forster parents but we have to wait a bit longer (just moved, fence not in yet, new puppy, etc) but we are still hoping to do it in the future.
They really are great pets and they are fine in apt and very easy to take care of.
Just some info.
Also have you looked into pharaoh, ibizan or scilian hounds, rodesian ridgebacks, brittany, or a vizsla? just a few more to look at.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Big German Shepherd

Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread but why not dachshunds? They were used to chase out ground hogs that burrowed in the ground so they can be very good watch dogs. My brother has one and he's very gentle and nice. Cute, too.

The only problem with them is that they can be a BIG hassle to house train. But you can always adopt one that's already house trained.