Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-13-2005, 07:01 PM
totally awesome

Default dog for apartment?

It will still be at least another year until I can get a dog, since I'll be living in dorms this year. However, when I get an apartment I'd really like to have a dog. My current dog can't come with me because she needs a really large yard (very active and aggressive), so unfortunately she'll be living with my dad. After having such an aggressive dog I want one with no tendencytowards aggression whatsoever. It needs to be great with kids, since I hopefully will be having kids sometime in the next few years. It needs get get along very well with other dogs, as I want to frequently visit the dog park. I don't care much for grooming, and don't want a major shedder, but I can deal with it. This dog really needs to be small and mellow enough to live in an apartment, yet large/strong and active enough to play with big dogs ad be able to handle kids. I would prefer it to have some sort of retrieving instinct, or at least have it be trainable enough/willing to teach it fetch and have it learn quickly. The fur has to be easy to dry off relitively quickly since it will be playing in water and such and I don't want to spend an hour getting the water out a the dog park.

My first thoughts were a beagle or a corgi. Obviously, they both have their problems (corgis dont appear to be as sociable as I'd like and beagles are a little loud). My favorite breeds are german shepherds, pit bulls, dogo argentinos, mastiffs, pomeranians, Shiba Inus, and pugs. I don't really like frilly dogs (a miniture poodle would probably be my best bet, but I'm just not sure I like their looks). I like rugged dogs. I like spaniels a lot, I'm just worried about the coat upkeep and space requirements.

Mind you they'd get probably about an hour of dog park a day, and maybe 15-30 minutes of walk daily. I would REALLY like to keep them offleash.

Thank you very much!
Old 07-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Top Dog

what about a miniature snauzer, they are cute and pretty flexible, with the right training though
Old 07-13-2005, 07:05 PM
Top Dog

You can try this link

http://www.k9country.com/perl/dogBreed.pl

It's a form that asks you tons of questions then selects the breeds that fit the best to your situation. I liked it.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Top Dog

aah you beat me to finding one fran.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Big German Shepherd

Golden Retreiver, Boxer, Lab, American Staffordshire Terrier, Dachshund, those were ones that I thought of for you.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Top Dog

If you go rescue you see what you get. .... even test them with children . Don't put down a larger breed because of the apt. There are a lot of large breeds that would be happy with you in a 1 room apt.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

really there are?
Old 07-13-2005, 09:04 PM
Taco Dog

I suggest a Chihuahua. There are lots of the babies in rescue. They are great little dogs. But I am bias. Anyway, if at all possible, get a younger one. They will likely be more readily acceptable of a new owner. As Chis get older, they get more attached to their owners or their surroundings, therefore, a change in any of this could trigger an aggressive snap. That is the only setback to the Chi though. There is a small chance that it may snap on future children if you don't SOCIALIZE it with children when you get it. Socialization is a broad topic and is best done when the pup is young. But, with lots of hard work, it can be achieved at an older age.
Schnauzers are a good choice. But if you do choose this breed, choose the Mini. They seem to have better temperaments and are not as protective of their people as the Standard. The Giants and gorgeous and wonderful, but shouldn't be locked up in an apt.
I have also known lots of Poms to walk just fine off-leash. But other than that, I don't know too much about them. Ask me what you want about Chis though, I will be happy to help.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 07-13-2005, 09:06 PM
Kelpiefied

Apartments, I wouldnt recommend a Golden or a Lab. For a mellow dog that's good with kids and minimal on grooming, I wouldnt pick any of the herding breeds (maybe a collie but they're pretty heavy on the grooming). My advice would be to find a good mix from a shelter.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:44 PM
totally awesome

I've had too many problems with shelter dogs..that being 2. I bought a puppy at about 12 weeks old and she ended up being extremely fear aggressive and now lives at an aggressive dog rescue (but they liked her so much that she lives in the house), and the dog I have curently was GREAT at the shelter, she was very friendly ad good with everything (paid no attention to toys, still doesnt), but the moment we took her home, she started attacking people and other dogs. It's been a very hard road with her. After 7 years of her, we have gotten her to only snap lightly and get used to new people within about 15 people, whereas before we had to have her outside the entire time company was over. I just can't risk getting another aggressive dog. Of course, I've had good shelter experiances too, one was a purebred german shepherd and the other was a purebred lab. I would kill to have a lab again, lol, but there's no way I'm keeping one in an apartment. I don't want anythign quite as small as a chi, I can't imagine those would do well in the dog park. I love dachsunds but them+aparetment stairs is a bad idea, IMO. I'm also worried about larger dogs hips with that sort of thing. But do you really think a german shepherd would be fine in an apartment? We only had a GS for a few days, but she was the sweetest dog I'd ever met and I've heard GREAT stories about GSs with kids. What other large dogs would be good?