Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 05-18-2008, 12:56 AM
Active Pup

Thanks for the advice smexy! I have a half acre thats fully fenced so this is good unless she decides to dig her way out. She'll be an indoor/outdoor dog. Were crate training right now along with other basics.

The one thing I notice more than anything is she will not always come when I call her. Also she loses attention quickly. I have taught her to 'sit' and she is learning not to play rough w/ my pomeranian Bean. This we have ALL been very persistent about because I was so worried she could hurt Bean trying to play. Arie has caught on to this faster than anything else and I know it's because we are all so religious about saying "NO!" to her when she jumps at Bean.

Also I'm discovering she is not as easy to train as my lab was but she does catch on with persistence. The one thing I really love about her is she is sooo sweet! She makes everyone feel special...she'll cuddle up in your neck and go to sleep...so lovable She's so adorable too. I must admit she was love at first sight for all of us! You look at her and seriously melt!

I will enroll her in a puppy class for sure but I think I'd like for her to have had her 2nd set of shots first. She'll get those in a few weeks. I just want her to stay healthy. She's in good hands...one thing I stick to is when I get a pup it's a commitment forever. Were not the type of family that gets a puppy just for fun while they are a puppy than when it gets bigger give it away or take it to the pound. Not our style!

Our lab Bailey was a hand full as a pup...she ran, she chewed, she would dig up the garden, once she ate my fillet minon right off my plate before I had even had my first bite! But Bailey turned out to be an amazing dog that was a part of our family for 12 years until she passed away from old age in my son's arms a few months ago...RIP . I see a little 'Bailey' in 'Arie' and we will work with her just like we did Bailey! I know she'll be a great addition of our family!

Any more advice let me know!
Old 05-18-2008, 04:42 AM
F150 and a .30-06

Regardless how good your recall is NEVER in that dogs life time can it be off leash. The dont just need a fenced yard they are escape artists. They are so stuborn and they can and will howl. They shed. Verry high energy. They are pack dogs so should not be DA. Many suffer from seperation anxiety.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show