Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Puppy Dog

Default agility and heel?

Ok, so I REALLY wanted to start agility with my Beemer this summer (he is a year old now and so I figured he would be able to do the jumps and such). But the only agility club we have here wont even let your dog start their agility classes without already knowing heel off lead perfectly. He has been to obedience classes and such but he doesnt know heel on lead, let alone off lead yet. So any suggestions as to how I can teach a VERY VERY excitable/hyper/active boston terrier how to heel?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I'd want to know why they insist on heel... Only time I've used heel in agility is tight snooker courses to keep my dog out of obstacles we aren't doing if we have to cross the entire field..

We trained for a year, and Cider had no concept of a heel. I taught it for rally-o a year ago, we've been trialling both agility and rally for the past year.

If your dog has a recall, some focus, a sit, wait or stay, I don't see why you need a heel as an agility pre-req. In some cases too much formal ob has had an impact on dogs to be too precise and slow. Not that you can't do both, but there shouldn't be a concrete reason you have to have it first for agility.. unless they want proof you've trained before.. and then a dog with manners should cut it.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 05-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Top Dog

There is a big difference in coming to a heel and side position for agility and what could be consider 'perfect' heeling for obedience. In agility we don't want the dogs tight to us, unless asked.
Do they not offer a Foundations class, which is agility obedience, targeting and flat handling skills. Which should be done before any dog is introduced any piece of agility equipment.
But as to your question I teach a off leash heel with a clicker.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Agility Junkie

I've had/have 4 dogs doing agility, not one of them knows how to heel, but they do know the command "Close" to come into me and stick by me. I agree with Mafia Princess a "perfect" heel can be quite the problem in agility and not really nessicary.

Chauffer to Breanna 14 yr old daughter and Meg AAD 8yr BC

Gone but never to be forgotten:
Ashe 6/93-11/07 a boys best friend, beloved family member, agility partner
Rush 10/93-10/06 beloved pet, patient teacher, agility partner.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Top Dog

why not try to train him heel everyday just be consistent with the training and commands and eventually your pet will get it.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanda View Post
why not try to train him heel everyday just be consistent with the training and commands and eventually your pet will get it.
Chanda, why don't you give us an example of how you would do this with YOUR dog? Btw, what is the name of your dog, breed?? Compete in anything other than spamming??
Old 05-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Top Dog

Well that stinks that your club is like that. I know that my club had a rule that all dogs had to do a recall between a group of dogs ion each side of them and your dog could not re-act. This was test out DA dogs well I called them out because they said my dog was too DA. Chalice has never attacked anyone. But three different members have very DA dogs and they don't watch their dogs at all you have to watch what is going on. Maybe yo should go check them out see what they are all about and see if you want your little guy around theose dogs. Just a thought.

People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Top Dog

Are you sure they aren't meaning off leash heel as in excellent verbal control off leash?

My dog doesn't do heel but I work very hard on off leash control when we are doing agility. She's at my side when cued, but she will be very slightly ahead of my leg at times.

I think verbal control is more important than a perfect heel.

Can you ask to have your dog tested on her focus and control skills? I'd be interested in the reasoning behind the perfect heel.

Let us know if you find out
Old 05-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Just try me..

Personally having a very good obed heel on my first agility dog was a huge HUGE detriment. He was slow and careful and wanted to watch me, not where he was going.

Dekka learned agility (foundations stuff) and heel at the same time. Worked much better.

Here is a clip of us heeling at the Toronto Sports man show (she will do this off leash)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T-WUt6k-ac

Unfortunately all I have is clip from one of her first trials, its not very good but it shows how she focuses on the obstacles and not me..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXKjU8qhM90

Why do they want a heel?
What level does the instructor compete at?
Old 05-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Puppy Dog

This is their site and its under classes for the agility classes.
http://www.fiveflagsdogs.com/

They offer levels 1, 2, and 3 beginners agility classes. I e-mailed them when I first saw they needed off leash heel, and simply asked if my dog HAD to know off leash heel, or heel in general, even when my dog comes on command and listens very well to me. And they said yes to pass the skills test an off leash heel is needed. I asked why but they never responded back with an answer.

We have a USDAA agility league in the area but they dont offer classes, only trials. And I would buy my own agility stuff but right now I dont really have a yard, and plus I dont know much about agility so I really wanted to work with a trainer that knows how to do it and such. Plus I didnt want to injure my dog in anyway by training wrong.