Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Default Introducing puppy to toddler

Ok, since we got Hannah I haven't really let her out of the kitchen while my daughter was awake. I give them superivsed time to see each other but now I want to let Hannah out into the livingroom while Emily is awake as well. I know to keep her on a leash at all times but what else should I do? Hannah is pretty good at sit and down and stay so I was thinking about having her sit, or lay, by me and then stay. I know she's a puppy and can't lay or sit forever. Any suggestions on how to make the transition more smoothly for both toddler and puppy?

Old 07-13-2005, 05:22 PM
stirder

sounds like you have a pretty good idea already. all I would add is to make it fun for both of them. praise when they do good. both too young to understand if they do something wrong, so if either one gets too ruff, seperate them for a few minutes and try again. and of course always supervise them.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Well my daughter isn't too rough. She's only a year and she's sort of afraid of the puppy. Hannah's knocked her over a few times so she's sort of hesitant to go by her. I know she'll get over it, though, she's only a year and she LOVES our other dogs!

Old 07-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Playful Husky Pup

This is off topic but how is Shelby doing I havent been on enough to know if she is even still around?

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 07-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Rusty but Trusty

She's doing ok. We have a new vet and discovered that she had bone cancer. We had to have her hind leg amputated. She's doing ok from that surgery, but now she's dehydrated and in the hospital agian (overnight). She'll be home tomorrow morning. The vet is doing blood tests and stuff on her today, I'm guessing to check on the cancer and everything, I'll ask when I see him tomorrow.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:31 AM
Felurian

Dogs can be amazingly understanding with babies. It sounds like you've got a good handle on the whole process, Julie. I would start letting Hannah have more freedom though. You wouldn't want her to associate Emily with being locked up . . . Just wait until Hannah figures out parking under the baby's chair at feeding time, lol! Talk about bonding . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Rusty but Trusty

oh they already associate Emily with food. Everytime Emily has food she'll slip it in through the baby gate and the dogs will just sit there and wait patiently for her to give it to them becuase they know she will

Old 07-15-2005, 10:07 AM
Felurian

Now that's cute!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-18-2005, 02:09 AM
Rusty but Trusty

oh yeah, she loves sharing with them (and they love it just as much). I'm thinking she's eating all her food and I'm getting all worried that she's gonna gain all this weight and then I find out half of it's going to the dogs.