Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-13-2005, 05:10 PM
stirder

Default found out about a new breed of dog

went to pick up my wifes cat from the vet this afternoon. he has some skin allergy problems (or mites or something, vet cant figure it out) and had to have a lime sulpher did, this was hopefully his lat one. while I was waiting for them to bring him out to me a guy came into the waiting room/front room with a little puppy, 12 weeks old. I thought maybe it was a staffordshire or pit mix. he said no its a purebred canis panther. I just said "oh really, hes adorable." and left it at that but thought the guy had made up the name rather than admitting it was a mix, maybe he felt tougher that way or something. well, just looked it up, didnt remember the name he said untill just a few minutes ago. its actually a breed. dont know much about it except what I read here http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/canispanther.htm here and here http://www.canispanther.com/ apparently its just one breeder and sounds to me like a designer dog. the breeder seems very puppy mill/byb-ish. I dont want to say anything bad about the breed since I havnt read everything on both sites yet, just wondering if anyone else had heard of it. and is it a one kennel project, or is it something that a lot of people breeding/buying???
fell like I should reitterate that I am only okay with the creation of a new breed if it is done responsibly with a goal in mind. such as creating a breed that does something no other breed can, or atleast performs a task better than another breed can. wondering if anyone knows about this breed and is that the case? seems like somebody just wanted to make some money.

Last edited by stirder; 07-13-2005 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:24 PM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

Those r some nice looking dogs, but they sound very protective, which might b good for some people. I think they look like a MUCH bigger breed of a PIt Bull. They r so adorable though.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Big German Shepherd

Pretty cool dog. Even if it is a designer dog from what I've read it sounds like it could be a great dog, a breed of it's own. I wouldn't mind having one.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:55 PM
user not active

If this is the dog im thinking about, then they are pretty unstable.

This is coming from me with the dog I own. I guess whatever floats your boat

I am pretty sure I have seen and read on how these behave few years back, very interesting breed, but too unpredictable for me. The breeds used in the creation of the breed dont really inspire confidence in its stable mindedness.

But dont quote me on this, I might be wrong.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:00 PM
Top Dog

i have heard of this breed before, and seen it. i dont know but when i sqaw it, it freaked me out a bit. i understand why it is called a "panther"
Old 07-13-2005, 06:02 PM
Top Dog

Considering it was started in the 70s and is a mix of 5 breeds to me in that short amount of time, there has to be a lot of cross or in breeding. I would call them very handsome mutts !!!
Old 07-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
Considering it was started in the 70s and is a mix of 5 breeds to me in that short amount of time, there has to be a lot of cross or in breeding. I would call them very handsome mutts !!!
Well, I wouldn't call them a mutt, persay, because they have been breeding true for a while it seems. Sounds like a purebred to me. But who knows what their temperament is like. From what I read, it sounded like they were really really smart and athletic and family friendly, but they hated strangers. That breed wouldn't be one I'd want to meet in a dark ally. lol
(Not that I'm saying they are bad. I couldn't judge by what little I know of them, but from what they say, it sounds like they were bred to be aggressive toward strangers. But I don't know? )
At first glance, the dogs look like Cane Corso/Dobe crosses. And I have to say that these dogs have me interested. I don't think I'd ever own one, but I do have a thing for the guarding/working breeds.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:58 PM
Felurian

According to this site (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/canispanther.htm) it came from a mix of black Dane, black Lab, Staffie and Dobie.

Interesting dog, but I can't help but wonder at the motives behind its development as a "pet protection" animal . . .

I don't really understand how you can interbreed four breeds that DO have inherent physical problems that commonly show up, some overlapping, and say you have a breed that has no predispositions to any health problems either. Nothing has 'perfect' genetics, no matter how carefully you screen, so that claim would be enough to make me skittish . . .

I think your take on the breeder is probably on the money, Stirder . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-13-2005, 10:28 PM
totally awesome

my god that is an attractive dog. I don't care if it IS a mutt, the only more attractive dog (IMO), is the dogo argentino...amazing.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:19 PM
stirder

I agree, they are very attractive. I was wondering if anyone knew more about them than the little I read on the two posts I linked. seem like theyd be really good for schutzhund, and being around for that long?, was suprised I had never heard of one or seen one on the schutzhund fields. the doberman is the only guard dog in its mix, danes, staffies and labs may be watch dogs but they are not guard dogs (maybe some staffies) so Im suprised they are "great guard dogs", and I just cannot/do not believe they have no inherent health problems. Ive done the search and that is the only breeder that I found. of course its possible that there are a lot more who dont have websites, but I kind of wonder if it has truly been around that long???