Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Top Dog

Allbino's have pink eyes though (due to lack of pigment). This one has glass eyes (like a husky). Breeders are starting a line of "silver" labs which I think look similiar to this. Maybe it's NOT an albino! Here's a link to silver labs:

http://www.silverlabs.com/
Old 07-13-2005, 03:48 PM
sammydawg

Default albinism

sure looks like albinism-- they don't have to have red eyes-- we know two children with albinism
albinism usually causes some other problems - people / animals with albinism are always somewhat visually impaired some are quite blind
Old 07-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Show Dog

Wow the silver labs are like wiemeraners (sp?) but huskier. Interesting
Old 07-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Top Dog

Great... they even have to have white/albino dobie rescue groups since dumB@SSeS are out there breeding them and trying to make a buck. Check it out:

http://whitedobes.doberinfo.com/

Click on the rescue link...
Old 07-13-2005, 04:13 PM
Show Dog

Hey I know that one named spirit, well not personally but I have seen him (rescues in PA). He is cute.
Wow does that site have a lot of info. I'll have to go back when I have a bit more time.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:19 PM
stirder

I have only heard of a few truly albino dobermans. that one is just white. some breeders call it the isabella doberman. they market it as rare and charge outrageous amounts for them. they are rare only because responsible breeders neuter every dog in the bloodline, as was mentioned earlier. they are very similar to all white great danes in that the majority are either deaf or blind, or both, and all of them have severely lowered immune systems. even the faded colors such as fawn (faded form of red) and blue (faded form of black and tan) dobies have very lowered immunities, and they are very prone to a skin disorder (dont recall the name) in which they go bald, usually begins on the haunches and spreads forward. they believe that disorder is because in a faded color dobie the hair color is faded because it has less of the pigment (molecules?) and is always a very very fine fur. they think the fine-ness of the hairs makes them a lot more prone to become ingrown, causing infection in the hair folicle, which basically prevents the folicle from creating new hairs.
I learned all that from talking to a bunch of breeders, 2 rescuers and reading a lot about dobermans last fall when I was considering getting one.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:22 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Wow those silver labs are beautiful. I might look into getting one of those some day. I love the color and with those amber eyes they just look so intense. Stoic. very gorgeous

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 07-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Twin 2.0

Some people out there will do anything for a buck, regardless of consequences. I knew a couple of guys in Emporia who each had an albino Dobie (brothers from the same litter). I don't know about any health problems, but they were the neatest looking dogs I'd seen in a long time.

aurorab-I thought the exact same thing. I wonder how the color came to express itself? It's worth looking into.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:01 PM
stirder

yeah, the silver labs are gorgeous. the color reminds me of weimerainer. wonder if they started as a mix??
Old 07-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Top Dog

I couldn't get into the siver Labs, but the white dobe just looks like very poor genes to me. Not a true albino with the eyes, has some beige in the coat and very poor skin pigment. Hope they don't breed it !!!