Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Rainbow Bridge - Dog Memorials

Old 07-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Top Dog

I'm glad you've got Bella. And thank the good Lord your g-baby wasn't disfigured ! We're here for you all!
Old 07-14-2005, 09:17 PM
Active Pup

Yes, I have to take some solace in knowing that Travis is in a better place, free of the anxiety and fear that seemed to effect him.

Bella just wants to play and play, and to be around us constantly. That helps alot. She must miss her playmate, as he was always the one in charge. Sometime soon hopefully we can get her a buddy.

Again, I appreciate all the kind words. I can't believe how much it helps cope with this loss.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:54 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i adopted a 10 day old puppy from the shelter and bottle fed him. He grew up with a similar nature and met a similar end. We were very fortunate we were not sued. I am so sorry for incident...and for your loss. I know exactly how careful you were being for i went thru this myself. Time will ease but not erase the pain..the good memories will be the most lasting...i send you my love.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Active Pup

We had dinner last night with our other son (his twin brother), who shares very much the same emotions as we about Travis and the whole incident. It was very healing to share everything with family. We truly gave Travis over 6 truly loving and wonderful years, years I don't believe anyone else would have given him.

When my heart dog, Harley passed over 2 years ago, I found that time did indeed ease the pain. I cried every day for what seemed like weeks as I missed him at my feet and I would notice the empty space on the chair where he rested. In time, we memorialized him with scrapbook and tribute writings. With Travis, we will do the same - we talked about it last night. It may just take more time because of the circumstances. But it is important to remember the good that he brought us and the love we gave him.

So far, I am happy to see that Bella seems pretty unaffected by everything, and is content and happy to play and hang around us. In fact, she seems more playful than ever, which is a pleasant distraction in our home.

Last edited by metaldog99; 07-15-2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:10 AM
I W A L R

You are not alone. We had to put a dog down, too.I made my name in honor of Sheba.I miss her so much, but I was not there, and here is what my dad told me:

Kim is my dad's girlfriend.She was doing something and Sheba cornered her and growled and snapped at her.My dad took Sheba to the ASPCA and he told them the story.They did tests on Sheba and she could not pass them, so she had to be put down.Now, when I have the time, I sit down next to Wendy, watch TV with her, and play ball with her.When we had Wendy and Sheba, Sheba never wanted to play, but Wendy did.Sheba constantly growled, even when I tried to spend some time with her.The only one she knew very well was my dad, who grew up with her.Whenever I go to my dad's house, now, I remember Sheba, and the short time we had together.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Active Pup

Sheba - thank you for sharing. Travis looked very much like the picture of Wendy in your sig. He was very handsome.

Today I cry for our dear Travis - although I am relieved that any ordeal he had for the last 10 days is over (10 days was the quarantine time). I feel so bad that he had to go through that. That he was ripped so suddenly from our home, with no time to say goodbye. Perhaps it's better that way, but my heart goes with him.

I miss his presence, but will remember the good times we spent with him, the bonding we had with him, and his voice - well, some of the time with his voice! He was the noisiest of dogs for his 6 years, and our home is now almost unsettlingly quiet now.

Having been without him for over a week now, we are coping most by being able to spend quality time with our Bella (2+-yr old female Black Lab), and by enjoying not having to do the crate shuffle so much, or from having to be fearful of people coming to the door. And we can now approach other people walking there dogs while we are on walks with Bella.

However, it is those peaceful moments Travis would have at night, as we sat and watched television - the times when Travis seemed at peace, and would lie next to us.

It is still such a mix of emotions. Because of how dominant Travis' personality was, it is so hard to get used to him being gone, despite the more relaxed atmosphere at home. He was indeed our "problem child" - but our dear child, none-the-less, and so attached to us.

Travis, I hope you will wait for us with your brother Harley, to sing and play with us all again. We will always remember you, and always love you. See you again on the Bridge.

Last edited by metaldog99; 07-18-2005 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:25 PM
Top Dog

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. No matter what kind of logic there is to be found or what the circumstances, it really doesn't help your saddness and your missing Travis, I know. But, if you or your wife have any doubts, all I can say is that I couldn't keep a dog who bit someone like that. It is a ticking time bomb and as hard as it is to make a decision like that, I think it has to be done. What strength you both have. Travis is fine where he is and he was very lucky to have you and your family for all this time giving him the best that anyone could. I wish you peace and a softening of your grief in time.

(((hugs)))
Old 07-18-2005, 10:32 PM
Active Pup

You are a good Dad....a tough situation for anyone but know you did the right thing...
Old 07-19-2005, 01:46 AM
Active Pup

Tonight I remember the six great years we gave Travis, and lit a candle in his memory. As it I watch the candle, I remember the love he gave us back, and what it took to get that special love from him. I would gladly do it all and more again.

Tonight he joins his brother Harley and is finally free, to play and be the dog he couldn't be here. Together they wait for us.

Godspeed, Travis and Harley.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:36 AM
BusterLove

I am sad for you, BUT SO MAD we lost another dogthat nit because of triggered behaviour