Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Top Dog

Default Really stupid question... Where to find raw bones?

It's probably stupid, but I can't think of any place here that would sell raw bones. Where do you get yours?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Big Dog

I just go to the local supermarket and ask for some round marrow bones for my dog. They usually have some around. Or go to a real butcher shop and get them there.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Show Dog

Be real careful w/ them. I know some people love them and think they are fine, but they can splinter and cut a dog inside and they can get chunks lodged. Both Sx are very expensive and costly. I'm not telling you not to give them, your choice but I would suggest that you watch them and even take them away if the start to splinter or get small.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Island dweller

They aren't likely to splinter if they aren't cooked. Cooking alters them and makes them dangerous.

I get my at the grocery store too. I buy round 'soup bones' and they are already frozen. Less than $2 for 3. But I've heard I can get a box of them for $10 at the other grocery store.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Top Dog

I feed my dogs the barf diet (raw meaty bones) I get my larger bones from my butchers. but feed them on chicken carcasses/wings/lambs ribs/ neck etc

Mo
Old 07-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Top Dog

I have been getting raw bones from my local butcher for the past 40 years. As long as you feed the bones raw, and throw them out after a day...you will not have any problems.
Be careful in the summer with raw bones, leaving them in the house with any amount of meat on them can attract flies to lay eggs...then you have maggots. This happened to me a few years back one of my dogs hid a bone in a dog blanket. When I picked it up a few days later to put in the washer...it was loaded with maggots. Turned my stomach.

I try only to give bones to the dogs when they are outside. If inside I make sure I pick them up that night...I'm a bit paranoid.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I get the beef soup bones for my dog and he loves them. As long as their not cooked they shouldn't splinter. I still watch him with the bone anyway, though. I buy my bones at the grocery store, in the meat department.

Old 07-13-2005, 03:13 PM
Top Dog

I'll have a look, thanks
Old 07-14-2005, 09:03 AM
Active Pup

I have an online pet store and do carry frozen bones.

They are not posted yet on our site, but if you tell me what you are looking for, I can post them for purchase.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Top Dog

What about smoked soup bones? They sell those at the market sometimes I've given them to my dog twice sinse I don't think I'm educated enough about feeding raw...are those ok? *paranoid now*