Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 05-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Sled Dog Guardian

Exclamation 25 Emaciated Sled Dogs Rescued in Alaska - WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT

**WARNING: Graphic Photos to follow**

Quote:
May 7th 2008 - PALMER, Alaska -- Mat-Su Animal Control officials say they have uncovered one of the worst cases of animal cruelty they have ever seen.

Officials found 25 dogs, many of them nearly starved to death and some chained to a short wire, left in a remote location with no food or water. Investigators seized the animals over the last two days.

Dr. Katrina Zwolinski is still disturbed by the condition of the dogs taken from a kennel on Lazy Mountain over the last two days.

One dog did not survive.

"It was evident it had died in the previous day or so," she said.

Animal Care Chief Dave Allison says all were emaciated, dehydrated and clearly neglected.

"If you put your hands on them you can feel pretty much every bone in their body," he said.

Allison says the dogs' teeth are broken from trying to eat rocks too.

Doug Bartko owns the dogs. He says it's been a rough spring.

"My system broke down and I was just in the process of getting it back up again," he said.

That system is clearly flawed, even for Bartko. His food supply has been rotted salmon heads.

It appears Bartko let things go too far and it's not the first time. Court records show he was cited for animal cruelty back in 2006.
Iditarod officials say back in 1983, Bartko was disqualified for not adequately caring for his team.

Bartko claims Animal Control overreacted and he will try to get his dogs back.

But it could be too late if some of his dogs even survive.

Bartko was cited for five counts of interference with an investigation, ten counts of failure to provide humane animal care and his kennel license has been revoked.

Additional charges are pending.

The borough plans to retain the seized animals.

LINK TO ARTICLE WITH PHOTOS
- WARNING, SOME GRAPHIC CONTENT

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by Buddy'sParents; 05-09-2008 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added additional graphic warning title
Old 05-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Was beginning to wonder when you'd come creeping up to post yet another sled dog debate. Yes this situation is absolutely horrible. This is clearly an animal cruelty case and my heart goes out to those poor dogs. Makes me sad honestly when I do hear about animals being completely neglected. Some people don't deserve to have dogs.

Though. I do feel the need to say something. I just hope that in posting this you aren't trying to use this one situation as your reasoning behind all the other bull you post and try and convince people about mushing and tying out to be cruel. Then again... this is you we're talking about.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 05-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Bloody but Unbowed

My advice----restrain yourselves, do not respond to this thread. Left alone it is a perfectly reasonable article with no need for debate.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 05-09-2008, 09:00 AM

True... I shouldn't have fed the thread... I just get so darn frustrated with Summitview sometimes... oi vey... lol
Old 05-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Sled Dog Guardian

*Warning: Graphic Images*

The only reason I posted this was to help get justice for these dogs and their teammates:

Photos Courtesy Mat-Su Animal Control

Moderators, could you please make sure the actual title of this thread is labeled graphic content? I edited the title in my first post but I am not sure it carried over to the whole thread.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by Buddy'sParents; 05-09-2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: added graphic image title
Old 05-09-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitview View Post
The only reason I posted this was to help get justice for these dogs and their teammates:
As long as that is the only reason then I think that's reasonable
Old 05-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Bored Now.

Frankly I don't think it's reasonable for your original post to link to pictures with graphic content, and then turn around and POST them with absolutely no warning.

No, not reasonable at all.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Oh, it's *you*

WARNING PLEASE...please show some respect for those with kids, and that just don't like to see horrifying pics WITHOUT warning, that browse here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 05-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Justice for abuse is good.. I support it.

Unfortunately, we have learned from experience that justice for actual and real cases of abuse is not your only motovation. Nor are the solutions you offer always particularly helpful, or even relevant, to preventing or punishing abuse.

I sincerely hope that the person who did this is punished. I hope the surviving dogs recover and find good homes. Give me a link to a reputable charity where I can be certain that the money will go to helping these dogs, and I'll write a check.

But there's no larger "cause" here . . . only tragedy and the need for justice. These pictures don't mean that mushing is bad, or keeping dogs outside is bad, or anything except that the person who did this is a vile excuse for a human being.

Please do not turn these poor dogs into propaganda . . . they are real, suffering animals. They need help. They deserve justice. But they stand for nothing but themselves.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 05-09-2008, 09:35 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

OK, I put graphic warnings in the posts but guys, it's listed on the thread title as well.

Summit- and everyone else- please be aware of your audience and be especially careful when posting graphic images. There are never too many warnings, please respect your audience.