Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 07-12-2005, 10:48 PM
Top Dog

Default poes day at pup school

well i have told you all before, poe seems to have some aggression issues. On monday we took him to puppy school. Its four sessions half an hour each for 100$ CDN. i dont know if thats a good deal, but sheseems to know her stuff. He was the smallest pup there which is a no no for him since he doesnt like big dogs. Coincidentally there were two chocolate labs, owned by different owners, roughly same age, and one pit bull pup.
we teached him to come and stuff, it was his orientation too, so he didnt do much. but he calmed down about the other pups only when they came near him, he still would, but calmed down.
it was cute. she taught us to come and stay, but we kept our dogs seperate from eachother. She actually said a tug-oof-war toy was a good toy despite what people think. i have to make one for next class. she gave us each a clicker. when we were training him he would get a click then a treat so he would relate them to eachother. I think its for his aggression but not sure. when he hears a click he will think he did something right, without using a treat. Also hopefully it gets to the point if he barking at another dog i click and he'll look at me, taking his attention away from the dog, till he gets used to them.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Rusty but Trusty

It sounds like Poe had a fun day at school today. I'm planning on taking Hannah soon. I use the clicker for Hannah, and it works really well. Although I think if you clicked when he barked at other dogs he would think he did something right. I think you should click if he doesn't bark, or if he quiets down. I mean this is my opinion so don't think I'm trying to tell you how to train your dog, it was just how I thought clicker training was suppose to be taught. But then agian noone ever really sat me down and explained how to clicker train, as I'm sure the puppy school instructor did to you.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Sounds like a wonderful class so far!
Old 07-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefurry
It sounds like Poe had a fun day at school today. I'm planning on taking Hannah soon. I use the clicker for Hannah, and it works really well. Although I think if you clicked when he barked at other dogs he would think he did something right. I think you should click if he doesn't bark, or if he quiets down. I mean this is my opinion so don't think I'm trying to tell you how to train your dog, it was just how I thought clicker training was suppose to be taught. But then agian noone ever really sat me down and explained how to clicker train, as I'm sure the puppy school instructor did to you.
ya ur right, im still unclear with the rules. i think i take his attention away by telling him to do a "trick",like come, and he'll more likely do it for a treat. hopefully he'll do it. if he does it and i click, this way he'll know he was right to leave the dog and come, instaed of bark
Old 07-13-2005, 12:04 AM
Rusty but Trusty

Yeah, teach him to sit or something whenever another dog comes around, just basically distract him. I teach my dogs to sit whenever we go for a walk and I'm waiting to cross the street, or someone's coming by on skates or a bike or with a stroller or with another dog.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Top Dog

k , how is hannah doing socializing?
Old 07-14-2005, 12:54 AM
Kelpiefied

The first day will always be the hardest. I teach puppy class and alot of puppies don't come out of themselves till the third and sometimes fourth session. Clicker training is just telling your pup when he is right. It is much easier to use than words, and helps you to cultivate good timing for training purposes.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:18 AM
Felurian

Sounds like you and Poe are off to a flying start, Lea

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-14-2005, 09:18 AM
Love my pets

Congrats to Poe on a good first day!
Old 07-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Top Dog

He starts again on Monday./..This class will be for socialization. I made him a tug of war toy which is recomended for class, and i cant wait its nice seeing all the pups even though mine is a little spitfire!