Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-10-2008, 11:04 AM
RedyreRottweilers

all good advice.

One other tidbit worth knowing:

Dogs will release whatever they have in their mouth if they are lifted with the collar. With larger dogs like Rotties you may not have to completely lift them, just some upward pressure on the collar will probably work.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Top Dog

^^^^Since the OP mentioned something about the dog getting aggressive, I don't think this would be a good technique in this situation. Nor do I think it's necessary in the majority of situations.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
all good advice.

Dogs will release whatever they have in their mouth if they are lifted with the collar. With larger dogs like Rotties you may not have to completely lift them, just some upward pressure on the collar will probably work.

If they are highly motivated to keep their toy, they will release eventually and with a lot of reluctance to do so.

Quote:
I'm very happy she likes tennis balls (cheap) and easy for her to chew them up hence new tennis ball no problem......
Be careful with tennis balls. They are a big choking hazard, plus if they chew them and swallow the pieces, they can get impacted. I had to have $1500 surgery on a dog to remove a tennis ball from his stomach.

I would look into something like this.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 05-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Active Pup

Lightbulb

Hi..
Here is something you can have a go at:

1. Throw the ball, the dog gets the ball.
2. If the dog is not coming back to you, move into a position where you are near your dog.
3. Wait. The instant your dog lets go of the ball, say the command you want your dog to learn (release, drop it, give me the ball, whatever) as you grab the ball.
4. Immediately praise your dog profusely. Get all excited, scritch her ears.

Repeat the whole process (don't work on any given trick for more than about ten minutes at a time).

Before long, she will associate the command with the action of dropping the ball, and associate the action of dropping the ball with your praise and approval.

Good-Luck

Mvh
Rune.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:44 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers
all good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
If they are highly motivated to keep their toy, they will release eventually and with a lot of reluctance to do so.

Corgipower, I have 20 years of experience with Rottweilers. I have also dabbled a bit in some SchH work.

Dogs are taken off their sleeve in the beginning by lifting on the collar. And trust me, dogs are MOTIVATED to hold on to the sleeve.

I can have any dog spit out what is in the mouth in seconds using the collar. My old gal is as determined as they get with objects.

This method works with her as well as any other dog I have ever used it on.

Try it sometime next time you are faced with a dog who REALLY wants to hang onto something.

The collar needs to be up under the chin at the top of the neck. Do not use a slip collar, or if you do, put your hand in the collar so that it does not tighten around the neck.

Then put steady upward pressure on the collar. It works EVERY TIME, and it does not take a long time either.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:18 PM
overdogged

but why use force if you don't need to?
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 05-11-2008, 08:05 PM
RedyreRottweilers

I agree 100% elegy, and other methods should be tried in lieu of any forcible methods beforehand.

However, if one is presented with a situation where it is imperitive to remove something from a dog's mouth, it's handy info to have.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
Corgipower, I have 20 years of experience with Rottweilers. I have also dabbled a bit in some SchH work.

Dogs are taken off their sleeve in the beginning by lifting on the collar. And trust me, dogs are MOTIVATED to hold on to the sleeve.

I can have any dog spit out what is in the mouth in seconds using the collar. My old gal is as determined as they get with objects.

This method works with her as well as any other dog I have ever used it on.

Try it sometime next time you are faced with a dog who REALLY wants to hang onto something.)
I have tried it...it is a technique I use. I have seen some dogs who drop what's in their mouth, and I have seen many who continue to hold onto what they have for at least a minute, some longer. They slowly start to loosen their grip while continuing to make every attempt to hold onto it.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 05-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Active Pup

Any advice I could give has already been covered, but I do want to mention that we have a 16-month-old Rottweiler, and like the dog you are sitting, she adores playing ball and she isn't eager to give one up. I'm working with her on the trading when we are indoors, and usually when we are outside I decide if I want to play or not.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:49 AM
Puppy Dog

Hay thanks for all advise, I dont really fancy doing the collar thing as its not my dog and not worth the hassle of her getting angro and seeing that I'm 3 weeks in I'll do the two ball thing that works great.

some good points about ignoring her but than I might be waiting for hours until she gives up and I cant leave her outside as I have no garden.

I will try given her a treat see if that works, its only really a problem inside hence no ball's inside.

She seems to like tennis balls I thought she would just chew them up but she does'nt, so a carry 3 tennis balls and trade her (although its not really trading she just drops one because she want the other one (good enough for me).

and she killed the new football withing 2 days (how the f-999 does a dog manage that).

got her one of them food thingy too the ball's with holes in it for when im not in she likes its....

Thanks all again ill stick with the tennis ball's and when I have time ill bring out a football, but when you walked her for an hour you want her to just drop the bloody thing oh well so far so good I guess.

cheers.