Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-09-2008, 04:28 AM
Puppy Dog

Default newbie, dog will not give ball back (help)

Hi ok I'm looking after my friends rottweiler I had no choice she just up'd and left me with her she 3 years pritty well trained other than this bloody football thing.

she will drop it a couple of times so I can kik it around for her but then she holds on to it like a bone and will not give it back, now one time I got real angry and she was not happy and got even more aggro.

Any idea's other wise the balls gotta go.

one thing I will be doing is pumping up the ball so she can't chew it to death or get are teeth round it she will to be able to chase it but for me it will be easy to get the ball back.

prrr never had a dog so I'm hoping for a little help.

cheers
Old 05-09-2008, 05:45 AM
Backward_Cinderella

Try having two balls, trade her when she brings it to you. Take the one in her mouth and throw the other.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:12 AM
Puppy Dog

yes thanks will try that but then the balls have to be the same otherwise she just go for the one she likes most and that leaves me with her still having a ball....lol

I did try that today, had two balls one she has chewed up and a new one that was know hers, so i tryed throwing the other one (which she has lost intrest in) but she chases it with the new ball in her mouth...she an't dumm....I only got it back when she looked away...

any other idea's

I get what your saying though two ball the same yes makes sense that will work I think simple but clever.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Top Dog

give her a command such as "drop it" while offering her a good treat--when she drops it treat and praise!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
yes thanks will try that but then the balls have to be the same otherwise she just go for the one she likes most and that leaves me with her still having a ball....lol

I did try that today, had two balls one she has chewed up and a new one that was know hers, so i tryed throwing the other one (which she has lost intrest in) but she chases it with the new ball in her mouth...she an't dumm....I only got it back when she looked away...
Use two balls of lower value than the one she won't let go of, but still high enough value that she wants them. Let her play with the new one for a while so that it become hers - with her smell and tastes like what her ball should taste like and she becomes familiar with the feel of it.

Use tug toys or balls on ropes so that the play is more interactive with you. If she's motivated to have you play with her, you can leave her and stop the game when she refuses to release the ball.

And you can use food to trade for a ball. Teach a command "out" when you do this. You can reward with the ball as soon as she releases it, so that "out" doesn't always mean the game is over.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 05-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Top Dog

It's not your dog, and you'll only be taking care of her for a little while - why is it necessary to play with balls with her?? Or play with her with the ball until she decides not to give it back - then just leave her alone. It sounds like she probably likes YOU playing with her with the ball better than just the ball itself (and probably enjoys the fact that you get upset when she steals it from you!), so when she does steal it, she'll learn that it means game over, so that's not a fun thing to do.

Of course the other advice is good if you have the time and effort to put into teaching drop it and everything else.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:35 AM
Puppy Dog

thanks for advise, the two ball thingy worked perfect...she drops one and chases the other one and when i have to pick them both up no problem...great. and thats with tennis balls so football's will be the same.

I got a new football today she go's mental for it (in a good way) but cant chew it to death. so its still alive for now.

BUT how the hell does a dog manage to pick up a fully pumped up ball, it will be broken soon, another 10 pound gone but its worth it..

I'm very happy she likes tennis balls (cheap) and easy for her to chew them up hence new tennis ball no problem......

happy dog and happy me
Old 05-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Puppy Dog

"why is it necessary to play with balls with her"

because she likes it"? and so do I.....its just the getting it back thing, but thats sorted..

I dont really get that, the dog is in my hands now so I want her to have fun even if it does **** me off a little....simple training and all is good.

please any more info most appreciated.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:53 AM
Puppy Dog

"Or play with her with the ball until she decides not to give it back"

yer that would be great but then she has the ball inside my house (she will not let go of it) and then she get's aggro inside (like she has a bone or something).....so ball HAS to be taken away before she come into house house....

not easy (for me anyway)......
Old 05-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Top Dog

I think you missed this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
Or play with her with the ball until she decides not to give it back - then just leave her alone.
So if she's outside with the ball and won't let go, you go inside and leave her until she decides the ball is not fun anymore.

Or just trade, if that seems to work.

The part that I picked up on in your OP was "one time I got real angry and she was not happy and got even more aggro" - my point was, it's not worth it for you to get angry and her to get aggressive if it's not your dog, it's not a behavior that's absolutely necessary, and you're going to give her back in a short time.