Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-13-2005, 12:23 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Default Whats wrong with him

I was just sitting here with my dog and all of a sudden he started making this wierd noise

Kinda like when you are crying a lot and when you stop you are still huffing and sniffling uncontrollably. It was kinda like that sound. I thought he was going to be sick so I took him into the kitchen and I got him a little bit of water but he wouldn't drink it. Then i sat down and called him to me and he stopped doing it and came over to me and sat down while i was petting him and he hasn't been making the noise since.

I don't know what that was all about. Anyone have this happen to them.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 07-13-2005, 12:49 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

My mom's little dog use to do this thing that sounded like Felix Unger from the odd couple where he cleared his sinuses..guess it was some kind of a spasm, but it sounded quite strange. Don't know if that is the same thing tho

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Show Dog

I know that chis have something called a reverse sneeze. When you get their attention or stroke their throat they stop. I could be similar to that. I have seen other dogs do something similar and agian if you get their minds off of it they stop. Kind of like us w/ hiccups.
If it continues and you get worried about it then maybe call the vet or go see him but one time or just once in a while should be fine.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Top Dog

We have 3 yorkies and all 3 of them do the same thing. It is called a reverse sneeze and nothing to worry about, just sounds aweful....
Old 07-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Top Dog

I've had dogs that have done that too .....vet said it was sinuses .
Old 07-13-2005, 01:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorab
I know that chis have something called a reverse sneeze. When you get their attention or stroke their throat they stop. I could be similar to that. I have seen other dogs do something similar and agian if you get their minds off of it they stop. Kind of like us w/ hiccups.
If it continues and you get worried about it then maybe call the vet or go see him but one time or just once in a while should be fine.
i think my pom/jack may have it
it looks like he has the hiccups...is that right?
Old 07-13-2005, 01:44 PM
Show Dog

Kind of. I really doesn't sound like a sneeze (normal one). My little one also gets a paniced look on her face b/c she can't stop and it actually makes it worse, but if we clap or hands or call her name she's fine, if that doesn't work we stroke he neck and she's fine.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:54 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Yeah it just sounded very strange like he had been crying and couldn't control his sniffles lol. but yes as soon as i sat down with him and started talking to him he stopped lol. I was just concerned because he had never done that before (that i know of) but he seems fine now he is scarfing down his lunch with no problems

As for the hiccups haha Teddy used to get them all the time when he was a puppy. Almost every day actually lol but he doesn't really get them too much anymore.

Thank you for the info everyone

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 07-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Corgi bum

My Corgi, Chloe does the same thing. Sounds awful. I always tell her how lady like she sounds when she does that....(NOT!!!) LOL
Old 07-13-2005, 03:08 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Yeah well thats only the beginning of many disgusting sounds my boy makes lol. He almost burps louder than me after he takes a big drink of water lol and he will always be sure to do it right in your face isn't he considerate lol.

G.K. Chesterton