Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 05-03-2008, 01:49 AM
BusterLove

surely it must depend on the individual, I've been taking primary care of Buster for probably 2-3 years now. In the last 12-18 months I've taken over everything, I feed what I want, I train, I groom, I bath I excercise I research etc. On top of that I take responsibility for the other dogs worming scheduale, I usually feed them, bath them etc. I've only just turned 18 now. I would be relaly diheartened if, had I been in the position to take on another dogs, 1-2 years ago, some people wouldn't consider me due to my age.
I know when I move out, Buster comes with me, I know it will be very difficult trying to rent at 18/19 with a dog and no references. I will also always have my backup, if for any reason I get knocked down, I can come back home and recoup, always with my pets.

i personally think she sounds liek a great owner, she has finished school and is working full time, show ambition. She has obvisouly researched. She could maybe sign up for pet insurance while she saves an emergency fund? (I think that will be my plan)
To me, she sounds like she has her head on straight, moreso than a lot of adults in regards to dogs.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:37 AM
F150 and a .30-06

Well if it was a well qualified junior then the ENTIRE family would have to qualify because I would technicly sell the dog to thier parents as it is illegal to enter into a contract with a minor.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 05-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Water Junkie

My parents signed the contract. But Blaze is registered in my name. I made contact with the breeder and he/she (husband/wife kennel) knew that I would be doing everything with him. I pay for everything for Blaze except Vet visits.

But they knew that my parents were on board for purchasing the pup and taking care of him.

I'm very grateful for my breeder and that they let me sign his papers and were willing to take the time to talk with me. IMO, more breeders should be willing to do this.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 05-03-2008, 03:01 PM
koda bear

Ive paid for everything for my dog vet bills, her spay, shots, food toys, treats the entire nine yards plus i have lots of other animals and I got her when i was 17 i dont think its fair to deny minors if there responsible. I love animals I have 6 birds 8 gerbils 4 goldfish and koda and Im going on to tech school in a few months for a vet tech and theres nothing ive ever been more compassionate about than animals.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Are you dead yet?

Well, I'm no breeder so I can't really say. But I had a dog sold to me when I was 17. The breeder wanted to talk to my parents, and after doing so there were no more qualms about my age. My dog was sold to me and not my parents.

Hypothetically, if I was breeding, I wouldn't be opposed to placing puppies with minors. I would want to know that their parents were as serious about the commitment to the dog as their child was.

I probably wouldn't place a dog in a home where the primary caretaker would be under 13.

I think a lot depends on the maturity of the minor in question, but I would certainly not rule out a junior as a potential home for one of my hypothetical puppies. I might be a little more critical of their home environment (kids ARE fickle and they certainly won't be home all the time to care for their dog, so the rest of the family matters a lot) but I wouldn't automatically scratch a potential buyer based on age.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Puppy Dog

ok, heres my point of view, from someone who was a minor and by most rescues is still considered a minor. I am 19, and moved out on my own, etc. I tried to adopt a dog from the humane society and they wouldnt even talk to me because I wasnt 21, and the other organization wouldnt talk to me because I am not a "family". Personally I think this is rediculous, and I think breeders doing it is rediculous also. I think that yes they should be asking the minor all the same questions as the adults and yes there should be a little more to make sure that the minor will be responsible, but I dont think they should not talk to someone just because they are a minor, or rule them out because of it.

and as for the whole minor not being home all the time, well you have great breeders selling puppies to owners where they work 8 hour days. It just seems like some on here are saying that because they arent minors they will be home for the dog, etc. Adults go out with friends and work 8 hours days, etc. so they technically wont be home for the dog all the time either. What about people who live by themselves and work 8 hour days and such, would you not sell a puppy to them because no one else will be home to care for their dog?

While yes I think breeders need to be selective of who buys their puppies, I think certain things could be a little less strict. Beemer, my dog, didnt come from a perfect breeder, she didnt have a contract, but she did show her dogs, but didnt have titles on all that she bred. But she was the only breeder I could find that was clsoe to what I was looking for, in the price and driving range that I could go for that would actually sell a dog to me. The fact that I live with roommate and am under 21 yrs of age played big against me when looking at rescues AND breeders. And I think thats why some people do go to "less then reputable breeders" to get pets, because sometimes its just really hard to get one from a reputable breeder.

ok sorry for the long post lol