Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-09-2008, 01:45 PM
lizzybeth727's Avatar
lizzybeth727 lizzybeth727 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 6,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I understand people have to work (I've done/do it myself), but THIS is the exact reason why I think crates are over used.
What do you suggest she do besides crate her puppy???
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-09-2008, 07:54 PM
lizzybeth727's Avatar
lizzybeth727 lizzybeth727 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 6,403
Default

How's Morgan doing this week??
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-09-2008, 11:21 PM
maxfox426's Avatar
maxfox426 maxfox426 is offline
My dog tickles my soul
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 3,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
How's Morgan doing this week??
Well... he still barks starting sometime between 4:30-5:00am. The radio didn't seem to do much. In fact, he seems to be barking even earlier now, BEFORE my alarm clock goes off in the morning.

HOWEVER, the pattern has shifted somewhat. He no longer barks at all while I'm downstairs. The past couple of days, he hasn't even barked when I'm walking down the stairway. Now he just barks early in the morning as if to wake us up, although he doesn't bark for nearly as long. He used to bark for hours on end once he started, and now he'll go for about 5-10 minutes then stop, wait 10-15 minutes, and try barking again.

So it seems that I don't have to worry so much about the hurried, crazed rush in the morning if he barks for hours at a time. It also seems that he's figured out that I'm not coming downstairs in the morning if I can hear him.

Now I just have to figure out how to keep him from waking us up with barking at 4:30am... all from my upstairs bedroom.

I have been taking care in the mornings not to get out of bed while he is barking. I don't want him to bark, then hear me get up, and make any connections with that. Once I get out of bed and he hears me walking around the barking is much less intense. Some days he'll still bark, but not as urgently... other days he won't bark at all.

Anyways, long story short... it's better, but still not quite there.

At this point, do you think this is something he will grow out of? What can I do from different floors of the house?

Sorry about the babbling. I just hope this post makes sense. It's after midnight here, I'm tired, and formulating words is proving difficult.
__________________
Cynthia
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-10-2008, 06:57 AM
Dizzy's Avatar
Dizzy Dizzy is offline
Sit! Good dog.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 17,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
What do you suggest she do besides crate her puppy???
Crating ALL night and ALL day too you mean?

What I did maybe? Secured a room (kitchen) during the day, and made sure I was with the puppy ALL night. She slept in our room (in a crate to begin with).

That or not get a dog if it's going to be crated for up to 16 hours a day. Having a secure dog proofed house is one of the considerations you take into account BEFORE getting a dog.

To be honest, I'd bark if I was in a crate nearly all day, everyday.

She could move the crate in her room over night, so the dog isn't alone all the time.... they are pack animals afterall.... You can't just box them away when you're busy.
__________________
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."


Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein


Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-10-2008, 10:03 AM
maxfox426's Avatar
maxfox426 maxfox426 is offline
My dog tickles my soul
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 3,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Crating ALL night and ALL day too you mean?

What I did maybe? Secured a room (kitchen) during the day, and made sure I was with the puppy ALL night. She slept in our room (in a crate to begin with).

That or not get a dog if it's going to be crated for up to 16 hours a day. Having a secure dog proofed house is one of the considerations you take into account BEFORE getting a dog.

To be honest, I'd bark if I was in a crate nearly all day, everyday.

She could move the crate in her room over night, so the dog isn't alone all the time.... they are pack animals afterall.... You can't just box them away when you're busy.

Wow... I didn't see your first comment before this one. I am kind of wishing I still hadn't seen either of them. From reading threads that you have posted, I had some good respect for you as a fellow dog owner, and I honestly wasn't expecting this "holier than thou" attitude. You are entirely too happy to be rude about this matter without even bothering to ask what the whole situation.

In fact, based on your comments, I doubt you even read all that was posted in this thread.

I appreciate that you have thoughts and opinions on the matter. However, it is apparent that you do not know the whole story, nor do you care to know. Therefore, I don't feel all that motivated to bother with filling you in. You probably wouldn't listen, anyways.

I've already received plenty of constructive and non-aggressive advice from other members of this forum. At this time, I am much more inclined to take their word than yours. Their suggestions have actually been helping me, which I definitely prefer over being attacked for asking questions.

Have a nice day.
__________________
Cynthia
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-10-2008, 10:26 AM
lizzybeth727's Avatar
lizzybeth727 lizzybeth727 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 6,403
Default

Yeah, I'd've thought you'd at least read the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfox426 View Post
I know that the best solution would be to let Morgan sleep upstairs with us. Unfortunately, that isn't an option. My husband will not allow Morgan to stay in our room (it's the way his family functions). One of the conditions of getting a dog is that he would have to stay on the main level. I've tried telling him that the barking issue would be resolved with this one change, but he isn't buying it.

The other problem would be about moving Morgan's crate up there. We don't spend a lot of time upstairs other than sleeping, so keeping his crate on the main level makes more sense during the day.
And I really don't see how keeping a puppy in a small room all day is all that different than keeping him in a crate.... Except perhaps it would give the puppy a place to potty during the day, but clearly this isn't a concern for Morgan.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-10-2008, 10:33 AM
lizzybeth727's Avatar
lizzybeth727 lizzybeth727 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 6,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfox426 View Post
HOWEVER, the pattern has shifted somewhat. He no longer barks at all while I'm downstairs. The past couple of days, he hasn't even barked when I'm walking down the stairway. Now he just barks early in the morning as if to wake us up, although he doesn't bark for nearly as long. He used to bark for hours on end once he started, and now he'll go for about 5-10 minutes then stop, wait 10-15 minutes, and try barking again.
I think this is a good sign, that he's not working himself up so much and he's learning to calm himself down when he does start barking. Hopefully this means that he's improving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfox426 View Post
I have been taking care in the mornings not to get out of bed while he is barking. I don't want him to bark, then hear me get up, and make any connections with that.
GOOD! He would make that connection, I'm glad that you're conscious of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfox426 View Post
At this point, do you think this is something he will grow out of? What can I do from different floors of the house?
Like I said, I think it's going to get better the longer you practice not getting up while he's barking. The general answer to a dog who's barking before you get up is to exercise him more at night so he'll sleep longer, but I believe that you are doing a lot of exercise anyway. I think you should just keep doing what you're doing for another week or two, and if you see no change or he starts getting worse (barking for hours on end again), maybe we'll need to reevaluate the situation. Do keep us posted!!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-10-2008, 11:49 AM
maxfox426's Avatar
maxfox426 maxfox426 is offline
My dog tickles my soul
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 3,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
Like I said, I think it's going to get better the longer you practice not getting up while he's barking. The general answer to a dog who's barking before you get up is to exercise him more at night so he'll sleep longer, but I believe that you are doing a lot of exercise anyway. I think you should just keep doing what you're doing for another week or two, and if you see no change or he starts getting worse (barking for hours on end again), maybe we'll need to reevaluate the situation. Do keep us posted!!
Oh yes, we make sure this pup gets his exercise. I try to take him for a walk before bedtime, or at least play a good game of fetch in the yard. He usually gets a good chunk of playtime outside once we are home from work, too. He lurves to run, so we make sure we let him as much as we can!

With the improvement Morgan has had just in this short amount of time, I am feeling much more confident that we are on the right track.

I'll be sure to keep you posted on his progress! Thanks again for all the help!
__________________
Cynthia
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Dizzy's Avatar
Dizzy Dizzy is offline
Sit! Good dog.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 17,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfox426 View Post
Wow... I didn't see your first comment before this one. I am kind of wishing I still hadn't seen either of them. From reading threads that you have posted, I had some good respect for you as a fellow dog owner, and I honestly wasn't expecting this "holier than thou" attitude. You are entirely too happy to be rude about this matter without even bothering to ask what the whole situation.

In fact, based on your comments, I doubt you even read all that was posted in this thread.

I appreciate that you have thoughts and opinions on the matter. However, it is apparent that you do not know the whole story, nor do you care to know. Therefore, I don't feel all that motivated to bother with filling you in. You probably wouldn't listen, anyways.

I've already received plenty of constructive and non-aggressive advice from other members of this forum. At this time, I am much more inclined to take their word than yours. Their suggestions have actually been helping me, which I definitely prefer over being attacked for asking questions.

Have a nice day.

Well, I'm sorry if it came over as aggressive.

I think it was more shock than anything else.

I just don't understand how people can keep a dog in a cage for the majority of the day. Needs must, just doesn't cut it... If people want a caged animal that they can get out and play with when they get home, and put away at bed time - why not get a ferret? Or rats? Intelligent animals - can be taught tricks, fetch and like interaction with humans.

I did ask questions, I see you missed my post as you said, but then someone put a question to me, which is where my 2nd post was directed.

I DID read your post regards your partner doesn't like the dog to be upstairs. Perhaps you should talk to him about your concern for your dog.

I have worked full time myself - when Bo was a puppy in fact. I felt guilty enough not being there in the day without not being there all night too, and she did have a crate for the 1st few months. It was used at night, and she was paper trained during the day. Depsite what people think, Bo would potter about the room in the day - I would hide treats in all kinds of places, she'd rag her toys up and down the kitchen, she'd play with her balls. She didn't just sit in her crate (which was left open) and sleep all day.

Owning a dog isn't like owning a cat, which is happy to amuse itself. Dogs CRAVE attention.

My original question was how long, on an average day, is your dog crated?

How long do you think is acceptible?

Crates have been discussed on Chaz an awful lot, and my opinion on them is well documented. I don't disagree with crate training ONE BIT. It was useful for me. But I see it as a tool, and I do not (even one tiny tiny bit) like to hear of dogs that are crated all day AND all night too. It's nothing personal at YOU. It's something that I just don't like. Perhaps it is cultural - here people do not rely on crates. And we all do just fine!!
__________________
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."


Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein


Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-10-2008, 01:53 PM
CharlieDog's Avatar
CharlieDog CharlieDog is offline
Rude and Not Ginger
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 9,069
Default

Whats with all the Dizzy hate'n going on lately??

I agree that crates are a tool, and all dogs eventually outgrow the need for that tool provided it is used properly.

That said, Oz still loves his crate, and I still use his occasionally.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site