Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 05-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Big Dog

Having a covered crate worked wonders for me at least. My dog hasn't ever really barked at nights, but he used to whine if he saw me walking in my room and I didn't pay any attention to him (his crate is in my bedroom and he usually goes to sleep before I do). I haven't heard a sound from him since I started putting a blanket over his crate at nights.

I can't however leave the blanket on his crate at daytime when he has to be alone, he does drag it into his cage and starts chewing on it if he's not tired enough. But at nights there's never been a problem, I know he's always too tired then to have any energy left for that.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:12 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
YAY!!! I'm SO happy to hear that!!

I was just thinking - you leave for work an hour before your husband, does Morgan go back to his crate after you leave? Do you think your husband could be inadvertently rewarding Morgan for barking if you're not home (yelling at him, talking, etc.)?
Morgan does go back in the crate after I leave for work. It's possible I suppose that my husband could be doing something... but I do know his morning routine is get up, get dressed, walk out the door. He doesn't do anything with Morgan in the mornings, since I've already fed him and whatnot. I've already talked to my husband about the problem with yelling at Morgan for barking, too, so he should know better. (At the very least, I have grounds to say "I told you so.")

So long story short... it's possible, but I don't really have any way of knowing for sure.

We'll see if the voice reward for quieting down works over the next couple days. Hopefully that is all it takes, but if not I'll look into ways to block his view from the crate. I have two old folding card tables that could do the trick if I laid them on their sides, or I could make a folding screen or crate cover of some kind myself. I certainly have a lot of ideas to try over the next couple weeks!

Again, though you everybody for your thoughts, ideas, and support with this puppy dilemma of mine! You all are the reason I love this forum so very very much.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Top Dog

You might consider leaving the block up after you leave for work, just in CASE Morgan is barking at your husband. I mean, you know that even walking down the stairs can reward the barking, and I wonder if your husband has enough patience (or consciousness) in the morning to wait until he stops barking to come down. (No offence meant toward your husband, not many people in the world have enough patience to wait for a dog to stop barking, especially first thing in the morning!!)
Old 05-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Original Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfox426 View Post
You're welcome!

And GO MIDDIE!

Ooo... interesting... I'm not too concerned about whining, since at night he is downstairs and we are upstairs, I don't think that will be as much of an issue.

The manual button for the trash, though, now THAT could be a nice feature, too. Morgan is pretty good about staying out of the trash... but the CATS are another story entirely.

Is it somehow only specific to barking? Or does any loud noise set it off? I am curious, because I wonder if cats knocking over a trash can would make enough of a sound to start the noise...

This could potentially solve two problems at once!

I am still going to try the radio approach this weekend, but I really am excited about this possibility. Thanks for sharing it with me!
I made sure to check this morning, but it didn't go off when my nasty alarm clocks were going off.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:00 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
I made sure to check this morning, but it didn't go off when my nasty alarm clocks were going off.
Thanks for checking that out for me! I have bookmarked the page you sent me and if my next few ideas don't work, that will be my next step. Again, thanks a ton for letting me know about that. My husband accepts it as a compromise to the bark-collar... and now we have a "last resort" that we agree on.

Probably a good thing that it doesn't go off with the alarm clock. I can't imagine how upsetting that could be for a dog!

"Oh no! The people are about to wake up! Noooooooooooooooooo!"
Old 05-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Original Twin

I picked mine up at Petsmart and it was like 39 bucks. Not too bad considering the same thing, product and everything is 60 at Petco.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:44 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Just a little update:

Well, this morning I got up with my alarm clock and there was no barking whatsoever! NONE! AND I had even forgotten to turn on the radio last night. So now I have absolutely NO idea what Morgan's deal is with the barking.

Actually, he's being a completely angel this morning... He even sat and waited patiently at the door to be taken outside for potty time, which until today he hadn't figured out to do, and this is all still BEFORE I've fed him breakfast. Now he's playing a game with the cat that doesn't even involve touching each other.

Alright, which one of you stole my dog and replaced him with this imposter?!?!?!?!? Okay, I'm just kiddding.

This is nice. Now we just have to see about tomorrow. Ah, the joys of puppyhood...
Old 05-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Top Dog

Woo hoo! Enjoy the small victories, that's for sure.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:36 AM
Bored Now.

Those cardboard thingies that kids use at science fairs would be great to block his view.. two of them and you're set.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfox426 View Post
I have to go to work eventually, so on those days I am forced to go downstairs, feed him, let him out, crate him back up, and then RUN out the door.

THIS sentence concerned me.

Your dog is alone crated overnight, then alone crated from morning till when?

How many hours is that in total?

I hope you don't work full time... otherwise your dog is crated more than he isn't!!!

I understand people have to work (I've done/do it myself), but THIS is the exact reason why I think crates are over used.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein