Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 05-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
I understand that it's my fault. I just didn't know what else I could do, since my support in the morning is limited at best.

Nolu,
My husband won't read that. Partly because he won't take the advice from "some stranger", but also mostly because if he read it he would then be pissed at ME for mentioning him here. *sigh* I WILL be using the points that you made when I talk to him about it today, though.
Regarding the "reward of my voice", do you think getting a baby monitor would help? So that when he quiets down and I'm still, say, in the bathroom... I can radio down to him? It seems weird, but is it worth trying?
I didn't mean it that way - it's a really HARD mistake to not make, and dogs bark anyways.. sometimes you can do everything right and they still have barking issues for a while. *shrug* Don't put a bunch of blame on yourself.. the last thing you need is to feel guilty. I'm sorry I made it sound like you're to blame, Max.

And I don't know about a baby monitor. Middie doesn't really recognize human voices when they are not in person.. if Morgan does, a baby monitor might work. I just yell, LOL.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Top Dog

Your baby monitor idea gave me an idea:

Check this out - https://ahimsadogtraining.com/store/...?prod=MCH-0041
It's the Manners Minder. It's a remote controlled treat dispenser! So theoretically, you could put it in your dog's crate and whenever he's quiet randomly hit the remote and it'll despense him a treat! It's kind of expensive, of course ($119) but think about how much a bark collar would cost??
Old 05-02-2008, 06:38 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
I didn't mean it that way - it's a really HARD mistake to not make, and dogs bark anyways.. sometimes you can do everything right and they still have barking issues for a while. *shrug* Don't put a bunch of blame on yourself.. the last thing you need is to feel guilty. I'm sorry I made it sound like you're to blame, Max.
Sorry, I didn't mean to take it so literally. I think you noticed that I've been having a bad day. I have just not been thinking straight. I didn't really believe that you were outright blaming me, but I do recognize that the barking problem is stemming from my own errors.

I've got plenty of ideas to try now, though, and I just need to calm down. I think part of the problem is I have been expecting too much, too fast.

Thank you, Nolu! You are awesome and don't you forget it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
Your baby monitor idea gave me an idea:

Check this out - https://ahimsadogtraining.com/store/...?prod=MCH-0041
It's the Manners Minder. It's a remote controlled treat dispenser! So theoretically, you could put it in your dog's crate and whenever he's quiet randomly hit the remote and it'll despense him a treat! It's kind of expensive, of course ($119) but think about how much a bark collar would cost??
That is a really interesting idea, too! And a lot more fun looking. I'll read into that. It is pretty expensive, but if all else fails... well... it could just be worth it!

Thanks again for all your help, lizzybeth.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfox426 View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to take it so literally. I think you noticed that I've been having a bad day. I have just not been thinking straight. I didn't really believe that you were outright blaming me, but I do recognize that the barking problem is stemming from my own errors.

I've got plenty of ideas to try now, though, and I just need to calm down. I think part of the problem is I have been expecting too much, too fast.

Thank you, Nolu! You are awesome and don't you forget it!
Thank you.. LOL! I'm really flattered, and heck, that made my day.

And the barking doesn't stem from your own errors... barking is a dog thing, especially when left all by themselves... but human error definitely encourages it. *sigh*

Oh, and on the topic of barking and dogs - I'm so proud of Middie today. There were neighbors' dogs barking AND deer and I left him tied to the front porch while I played with Emma.... I didn't hear a peep. So SOMETIMES my little dog decides to be good, lol!
Old 05-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Original Twin

Well, I got the table top unit. The barking is down, but the WHINING is up. Once I can get to it, I think I'll use the manual button for the whining. I used the manual button when the dogs were poking their noses into the grabage and they both backed off.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:55 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Thank you.. LOL! I'm really flattered, and heck, that made my day.

Oh, and on the topic of barking and dogs - I'm so proud of Middie today. There were neighbors' dogs barking AND deer and I left him tied to the front porch while I played with Emma.... I didn't hear a peep. So SOMETIMES my little dog decides to be good, lol!
You're welcome!

And GO MIDDIE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
Well, I got the table top unit. The barking is down, but the WHINING is up. Once I can get to it, I think I'll use the manual button for the whining. I used the manual button when the dogs were poking their noses into the grabage and they both backed off.
Ooo... interesting... I'm not too concerned about whining, since at night he is downstairs and we are upstairs, I don't think that will be as much of an issue.

The manual button for the trash, though, now THAT could be a nice feature, too. Morgan is pretty good about staying out of the trash... but the CATS are another story entirely.

Is it somehow only specific to barking? Or does any loud noise set it off? I am curious, because I wonder if cats knocking over a trash can would make enough of a sound to start the noise...

This could potentially solve two problems at once!

I am still going to try the radio approach this weekend, but I really am excited about this possibility. Thanks for sharing it with me!
Old 05-03-2008, 02:22 AM
Active Pup

Do you put chew toys or something to keep her entertained? I agree with putting the pup in an area where you can still come downstairs but not reward the pup with the sight of you. Also when your pup is barking and your downstairs do you talk or try to verbally correct the action? Only reason I ask is even if your trying to correct just hearing your voice is a reward. Best thing to do is ignore the behavior (barking while crated) all together. No talking to or interacting with the pup. Maybe when the pup is barking and doesnt stop you can leave the pup in the crate and when your hubby wakes up he can tend to the dog if its not barking.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:50 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggyteacher View Post
Do you put chew toys or something to keep her entertained? I agree with putting the pup in an area where you can still come downstairs but not reward the pup with the sight of you. Also when your pup is barking and your downstairs do you talk or try to verbally correct the action? Only reason I ask is even if your trying to correct just hearing your voice is a reward. Best thing to do is ignore the behavior (barking while crated) all together. No talking to or interacting with the pup. Maybe when the pup is barking and doesnt stop you can leave the pup in the crate and when your hubby wakes up he can tend to the dog if its not barking.
Morgan does have chew toys in the crate. He usually has a Kong and one other toy for variety (especially now that he is teething) in the crate with him. I try to rotate them around as best I can so it isn't the same toys every day, but I haven't yet found a whole lot of toys that are crate-safe unsupervized.

When he is barking and I HAVE to go downstairs, I do NOT talk to him. I won't even look at him until he's quiet, I'll do my thing around the house pretending he is not there. He has figured that out pretty quick, so he'll be quiet once he can see me... sometimes he'll stop when he hears me coming down the stairs (stairs are out of sight from the crate) though that is not reliable by any means. It really while I am upstairs and he is downstairs that there is a problem.

This morning I tried Nolu's trick of calling down do him once he quieted down. Once he stopped barking, I counted to 10, and when he hadn't resumed barking by "10" I called his name (I was standing just outside my bedroom door at the time he stopped barking) and said he was a good boy. That was the end of his barking this morning, he quietly waited for me to come downstairs after that.

Nows, we'll see if that works again tomorrow...

My husband and I are trying to think of a place where we can move the crate where Morgan wouldn't see me in the morning, but since out downstairs is basically one big room... that is proving to be near impossible.

Although... you just gave me an idea. I supposed I could try covering his crate at night. He wouldn't be able to see me then...

Sorry, long post. Just thinking in type.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Puppy Dog

What about a folding screen to put in front of the crate so as to block the view. He will still hear you moving around but won't be able to see. Just a thought.

I would not cover the crate. He might get ahold of the corner or edge of the covering and pull it between the bars. This could cause another problem.

Last edited by Angela's mom; 05-03-2008 at 11:26 AM. Reason: addition
Old 05-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfox426 View Post
This morning I tried Nolu's trick of calling down do him once he quieted down. Once he stopped barking, I counted to 10, and when he hadn't resumed barking by "10" I called his name (I was standing just outside my bedroom door at the time he stopped barking) and said he was a good boy. That was the end of his barking this morning, he quietly waited for me to come downstairs after that.
YAY!!! I'm SO happy to hear that!!

Yeah, you definately could cover the crate or block it somehow so that he can't see you. Even if you just put a chair in front of it or a coffee table turned on it's side, or something like that (and obviously, if your husband is upset, stress to him that this will only happen in the mornings and then you can reorgainize the living room back when Morgan comes out of the crate).

I was just thinking - you leave for work an hour before your husband, does Morgan go back to his crate after you leave? Do you think your husband could be inadvertently rewarding Morgan for barking if you're not home (yelling at him, talking, etc.)?