Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-11-2005, 06:14 PM
stirder

thats if they were released into an area that has wild woves. and its absolutely correct. the entire pack would kill it on sight, wolf dog or pure wolf. wolf packs very rarely accept a new member, and regularly kill lone wolves. and even if there were no wild wolves for the owner to worry about killing it, it doesnt know how to survive in the wild. it cant hunt, cant fight. there are still coyotes, bobcats, lynx, bears, cougars, etc. most likely it would end up on someones property looking for help and would get shot, killed by a dog, or hit by a car while crossing the road.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie1234
It's not like they can be released in the wild, too. They will try to join a wolf pack, but the alpha wouldn't accept him in the group. It's what I read
I have read that a Siberian Husky can survive on it's own in the wild. So I think it would be a matter on what breed the wolfdog was mixed with.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdoggy
Then what about the three recognized Wolfdog breeds, Irish Wolfhound, Czechoslovakian Wolfdog and Saarloos Wolfhound? What do you think about those animals?
I read from responsible owners of these breeds, that they would much rather stay with these breeds, than to go back to the normal dog breeds they had before.
Yes, I have heard of those breeds. But never really read about them... Stirder?
Old 07-11-2005, 06:16 PM
stirder

the 2nd two you listed are alright, deffinetly not for most people though. the irish wolfhound is not a wolf dog. it has supposedly never had wolf in its breeding. it got the name irish wolfhound because it was created in ireland, to hunt wolves, and its a hound. just like coonhounds, imagine they would look a bit different if they had raccoon in their bloodlines.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:17 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirder
thats if they were released into an area that has wild woves. and its absolutely correct. the entire pack would kill it on sight, wolf dog or pure wolf. wolf packs very rarely accept a new member, and regularly kill lone wolves. and even if there were no wild wolves for the owner to worry about killing it, it doesnt know how to survive in the wild. it cant hunt, cant fight. there are still coyotes, bobcats, lynx, bears, cougars, etc. most likely it would end up on someones property looking for help and would get shot, killed by a dog, or hit by a car while crossing the road.
Killed by a dog? I didn't think there was a breed that was stronger than a Wolfdog.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Felurian

The Irish Wolfhound isn't named that because it has wolf blood - it is an ancient breed of wolf-hunter.

The Saarloos and the Czech are dogs that knowledgeable breeders have been developing to try to return to a dog more like the German Shepherd types of years ago.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-11-2005, 06:19 PM
stirder

there are records of huskies living semi wild. in siberia, and the far north american husky and sled dog breeds. their people were nomads and they did live semi wild. despite rumors, legends, and jack londons books sled dog owners know the importance of no wolf in the blood. I have spoken with quite a few during visits to alaska and canada, and everyone of them said they had never heard of anyone they know, their fathers, grandfathers etc ever crossing a sled dog with a wolf because it would make them too wild to work.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdoggy
Killed by a dog? I didn't think there was a breed that was stronger than a Wolfdog.
I believe Irish Wolfhounds Pitbulls, boxers, and others are stronger. And Stirder says it does not know how to fight...
Old 07-11-2005, 06:20 PM
stirder

most wolf dogs are submissive to other dogs. and most of them have never been in a fight before.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:21 PM
stirder

there isnt much that can beat a pit bull. but for instance lets say your pit bull has never even wrestled with a dog before, and suddenly it encounters a...I dont know, say a great dane that has been in fights before because it lives on the streets and finds food in dumpsters. the dane is likely to win because the pit bull doesnt know what to think or do.