Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 05-02-2008, 07:41 AM
*Biter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
. . You get some real crazies in Fila breeders though.
Tell me about it! I've been sending out emails for months, and the ones that do reply are um....sketchy at best.

I guess I'll just wait to have a fila until I can convince you that I'll die without a Kharma pup.

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt
Old 05-02-2008, 07:43 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Perhaps snobbiness is misinterpreted.

Perhaps as mentioned a person is shy.

Perhaps people can realize when they are wasting their breath and their time by mentioning things. Very few people attempt to pour water into a vessel that appears to already be full.

Quite a few people on this forum have offered you good advice, cautions, and information since before you acquired this, your first show dog.

It takes a LONG TIME, and GOOD MENTORS to learn a breed, and the ins and outs of showing dogs. One does not learn all they need to know in a couple years time and on their first show dog.

Perhaps a small slice of humble pie is in order when people are kind enough to take the time to contact you, congratulate you, and offer tips and information that can be helpful to you later.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Walks into Mordor

.....nvr mind.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Oh, it's *you*

LOL...there's that old/new smiley again...I'll ditto that!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 05-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
From what I hear, competitive obedience isn't much better, and that's a part of it that I dread. I don't do the drama/politics/clique thing. It'll be me and my dog and that's all I'm going to worry about.
That's why you have to choose your venues carefully. I chose CPE for agility because it seems to be much more of an easy going venue. Though you always have your competitive people, there are groups that go and are there to just cheer everyone on no matter what.

It's also why I chose PSA as my bitework venue. It is very much like a family and no one is trying to sabotage the other competitors. Some of the all out temper tantrums, threats, and verbal/emailed hissy fits that I've seen in conjunction with other bitesports have frankly horrified me.

Question to show people:
Have you found that AKC vs. UKC show people/breeders are different? And do you primarily show AKC or UKC? Have you ever shown both? If not what are you basing your answers on?

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 05-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Oh, it's *you*

sometimes....UKC is supposed to be less formal...and it is. But...here at least many of the SAME do both, including myself so you will see familiar faces and attitudes wherever you go lol.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Top Dog

It takes all types to make a world . Just " do unto others " ..........

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 05-02-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisMorphine View Post
Question to show people:
Have you found that AKC vs. UKC show people/breeders are different? And do you primarily show AKC or UKC? Have you ever shown both? If not what are you basing your answers on?
I have only really shown AKC. From people I know that show UKC there's still politics and I've gotten to listen to some of their complaints, lol! UKC is less formal, though. Papillons in UKC isn't really much of an option. I mean a few people show both but the majority is AKC and thus that's where we show.

Even in the AKC you have the nice people and then the not so nice people. Not all AKC breeders are snobs but I won't lie and say I have not seen anything I'd consider snobbery at shows.

The worst was listening to the lab people whine after winners were picked.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Oh, it's *you*

Funniest thing I ever heard at an AKC show was...back in the crating/grooming area:

erm..."flamboyant" male handler comes back with lovely Collie and RWD ribbon...he tells equally flamboyant friend at the set-up,

"Oh...my...GAWD...I cannot BELIEVE the dog she put up! I mean...it looked like a homeless dog!"

You had to be there but I laughed FOR WEEKS...the tone and inflection was JUST too much. I still say that from time to time to my dogs when they get all scroungy lookin...

"Ellie you need a bath...I mean...you look like a homeless dog!"

Old 05-02-2008, 10:23 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisMorphine View Post
Question to show people:

I have shown and titled dogs in Breed and obedience in both venues.

I have much more time in the AKC rings than UKC, however, this is my personal opinion from my own experiences:

There are NO professional handlers allowed in UKC rings. Pro handlers may show dogs, but never for any compensation. I have shown many dogs for others at UKC shows, just for fun and to help out. I have gotten the same help from others when I had more than one dog to show.

UKC shows are much more informal, generally allow entries to be made the day of the show, there are no catalogs generally, and I find their shows more like a match.

UKC shows are fun with little pressure on handlers. Fellow exhibitors are quick to offer help, congratulate you when you win, etc.

I do see dogs showing and winning at UKC shows that would not generally be seen at AKC shows because they are not competitive. This is just a part of the UKC scene, and something you have to learn to swallow if you are going to show and compete in that venue.

Having said all that, my first love is the AKC ring. It is MUCH harder to finish an AKC CH in most breeds. AKC judges must apply for and qualify for each breed they are approved to judge. UKC Judges get most breeds when they are approved for their first one. I believe UKC judges have to have more education, or qualify to judge breeds such as the APBT, TFT, and maybe the Belgian Shepherds, but I'm not certain those are the breeds.

The expectations of the handler is higher at AKC shows. Dogs who are not of good breed type generally don't get a second glance at AKC shows, and might even be excused from judging at times.

While at a UKC show it is relatively easy for a dog to finish a CH title and never compete against another dog of its own breed, this does not happen in general at an AKC show. Yes, it CAN happen. A dog can win its particular group. If it does so and is not finished, it will be awarded the highest number of points awarded in that group on the day. Obviously single entry class dogs don't win groups at AKC shows on anything that could be considered a regular basis.

I would recommend anyone getting started in showing dogs go and enjoy some UKC shows. They are fun and casual. Get a little experience, take some handling classes, and after that the AKC shows will be much more enjoyable for most people.

JMO as always.