Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-31-2004, 02:35 AM
Active Pup

Chows arent stupid and yes they are hard to train but that is because they arent as quick to let you assume the alpha role. Neither are they "Mean". They are protective. Which once again comes down to choosing the correct breed for you. The problem with any breed really is the lack of responsible ownership. It amazes me that this statement gets said over and over and over again but yet everyone seems to nod there head and move onto the next dog or breed to chastize. I love all dogs but yet there are breeds that I wouldnt own because they are not right for me. We just need to get people educated but the general public like to believe "If it was on TV it has to be true." But anyway good luck with Chewy!!
Old 12-31-2004, 10:39 AM
Top Dog

My husband and I have our own business so we started right off taking our Chow puppy to work with us daily. We took her nearly everywhere we went. It was unreal how many people would say "Chows are mean dogs!" or "train her to be a guard dog, they are excellent guard dogs". Even my kids would visit and complain that we'd have such a mean, untrustworthy breed. A untrainable dog.
My husband use to raise Chows, this was my first. I spent alot of time researching the breed to try to understand her better. She is a year old and is so sweet. She loves everyone, and all animals. Potty training her was no problem, she sits on command, stays (but whines about it). I have noticed the stubborn behavior. If she doesnt want to do something she will whine but she will finally give in to my command. When she goes out to play in the yard and I think she should come in, I will call her to come in but if she isnt ready to come in she will sit close to the door, look at me and whine! My hardest task with her has been trying to get her to not jump on people when they come. She just gets so excited, she grabs a toy and jumps begging them to play with her. Once she gets it out of her system she is fine. Its been quite the battle but I see a big improvement with that. One daughter has changed her mind about Chows after seeing how great she is with my granddaughter.
I love the Chow attitude, the stubborness, the personality. She doesnt have a mean bone in her body. We have fostered dogs of mixed breeds that we quickly found out where mean and unstable. Hopefully we've changed a few minds on Chows with our baby going to work with us so people can see for themselves Chows dont have to be 'mean'.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:07 AM
Are you dead yet?

Hrm, I was hoping to have forgotten about FOD. This place is much nicer without him/her.. (I can't help but remember the flood of trolls several months ago)

Again, I'm with Pitbulliest.. People need to research, research, research before you get ANY dog. Chows are wonderful, but a very small percentage of the people who are interested in them, have the experience and knowledge it takes to own one, and raise it into a pleasant dog. Becca, you are a very responsible Chow Chow owner, and it sounds like your girl is a fantastic representative of the breed.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Felurian

What really frosts me is all the Chow (and other breed owners) who constantly tout that their dogs are such great fighters and are so aggressive. What idiots! They also usually have a somewhat skewed idea of their dogs' weight, too - lol! I've had to listen to people tell me about their 150 pound Chows that can whip any dog that comes around - and of course, these poor animals are generally kept tethered in the yard, day in day out, fair weather or foul. Yeeesh!

There's nothing inherently wrong with any of the dog breeds - but the people who own some of them are another matter entirely!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Top Dog

I have a nearly 9 yr old Chow Chow whom I've had since he was 9 weeks old. For the first two years, he was in constant classes, and he's gone lots of places for socialization. Because of this, he is a stable dog with a wonderful temperament. Aggressiveness, regardless of breed, can be prevented when the dog is owned by a responsible owner. Stupid isn't a word I'd even contemplate using to reference them. I never found him especially hard to train either, but then I also own a Basset (and titled her in Obedience competitions) so maybe I'm just used to finding ways to convince them that learning is fun
Old 02-24-2005, 04:12 AM
Dogs rule humans drool

my mum use to own a chow chow many years ago and would luv to own one now, but have two dogs, and it would not be appriopraite for another dog 1 spcae, 2 jack the boxer not keen on other dogs, he has gone for many breeds including the staffie, gsh and more, not because we wanted him to but becaue wen he was a puppy he was attacked, so now i think he thinks that hes got to get to them first before they get to me. That is the only problem we have he is getting better but will properly never b able to b of lead with other dogs.

This doesnt make him mean at all its just cos dogs look at things differently, they dont know that not all dogs are like that like we do. Its just a shame as he is such a sweet dog.

I am also interestede in the chow chow and thing they are lovley, yes they use to be used for fighting, like many breeds- shar pei mastiffs many, unfortunalyt dog fighting still goes on in many countrys and should be stoped, but in my opinions there is far to much nasty ppl in the world for it to stop.

sorry makes me mad that ppl thing dogs should be used in this way.

Visit my website on www.freewebs.com/animalllover
Old 02-25-2005, 12:53 PM
user not active

I've had nothing but bad experiences with Chow's I dont want to offend anyone, but the one's near my really have screws loose. They can be good dogs then explode out of no where. They are aloso very dominant for their small size and dont know where to stop.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriondw
I've had nothing but bad experiences with Chow's I dont want to offend anyone, but the one's near my really have screws loose. They can be good dogs then explode out of no where. They are aloso very dominant for their small size and dont know where to stop.
Well, as long as you understand that not all of the Chows out there are evil I don't think anybody will be jumping down your throat. And I sure do know what you mean about a certain breed of dog having there screws to loose.....I swear that all of the Aussies and Aussie Cattle Dogs around hear are out for blood. I don't think the Aussies would hurt a person, but they sure are evil with other dogs, and the Cattle Dogs.....not so sure about them when it comes to people....they've feaked me out a couple of times...
Old 04-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Active Pup

Default Not True!~!~!

the saying that chow chows are mean dogs is not true to the least bit! it is all the owners fault. unfortunatley, my 14 year old chow chow named Pow Pow (i know i know odd name, but we got him as a pup from some1 living in an apartment) and i had since the day i was born ( i am still a kid) in HIS WHOLE LIFE HE HAS NOT BITTEN ANY FAMILY MEMBER. he was my pillow, my blankey for when i was sad. he was a special dog, he had a long snout, not a bll dog type face. to all people he was affectionate, not cuddly like rubbing against u and not hyperactive. but when i was on the couch he would jump up and rest his head on me.

R.I.P~ POW~ THE BEST DOGG EVER, I NOW HAVE A YORKIE/MALTESE AND I LOVE HIM TO DEATH BUT NO DOG CAN COMPARE TO POW POW, WHO WAS THERE FOR ME FOR THE DEATH OF MY AUNT, MY LITTLEW COUSI, AND MY BEST FRIEND.
I MISS U ALL SOO MUCH
Old 04-28-2005, 11:42 PM
Active Pup

and also...he knew how to sit, lie down, come, stay on command ect. withOUT ever being to an obediance class

the only thing my dog hated...other dogs...out of protection and pure jealousy