Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-20-2004, 09:05 PM
Top Dog

facez of death..I hope you never buy a dog..you honestly don't deserve one... get a goldfish..
Old 08-20-2004, 11:14 PM
Are you dead yet?

facez of death, I disagree with you more than anyone I've ever seen on a dog site..

Please stop being such a hypocrite. You have a Rott mix. Rottweilers are made out to be killing machines, but because you own one, you know what they're like.

How many chows have you met and played with, hm? Very few I'll bet. What you just said was a sterotype, not an accurate description of the breed.

Try this novel idea: appreciating dogs for what they are, instead of picking holes in breeds just because of what someone tells you.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

Although this is an older post I would like to tell about our 1 yr old Chow. My husband use to raise Chows, this is my first. She was in need of a good home, very shy. We have our business so we started her right off with taking her to work with us everyday. It wasnt long and all her fears had left her. She loved everyone and acted as if people had come just to see and play with her. Our granddaughter who has just turned a year old loves Princess. It is as if Princess knows she has to be extra gentle with her, rushes to her aid if she hears my granddaughter cry, allows her to sit on her and climb on her, even tries to share her doggie toys with her.
We have recently adopted a cat, Princess loves her. Every chance she gets will give poor Kat a bath. When Kat does not want to be bothered with she hisses, Princess will lay down, cry, then go off to find something else to do.
Our vet said Princess is indeed the friendliest, sweetest and most social Chow she has ever seen, the dog groomer said the same thing about her. When we first brought Princess home my husband said a Chow must be socialized. It has paid off because we couldnt ask for a better dog. Until recently we didnt know if she would protect us if ever we needed her help but then one night while on vacation we stopped at a rest area, while in our car someone started hanging around the car. Even though she would warn him with her barking and growls he would keep returning. We took Princess serious. If she is reacting this way to someone then we must take her warning to heart. She is a true 100% people lover and animal lover.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:22 PM
Felurian

Thanks for that post, Becca. Once again, it's not the breed, it's the owner.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Top Dog

Rip's...I just read your earlier post..thanks for correcting me..you are right..they do tend to be more human aggressive than dog aggressive...but I swear I read something about them being used as fighting dogs later on...to be honest though, I don't know all that much about chows..they're quite a mysterious breed to me so I don't think its wise that I really say anything about them in the first place lol
Old 12-21-2004, 07:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceZ Of DeaTh
chow chows are stupid and hard tp train they also arent affection they are horrible
Don't even get me started on that. I've got to learn to controll my temper when it comes to one fo my favorite breeds so I'll start with you.
Chows are NOT stupid. They are very smart and loyal. They are also very stubborn and independant, so yes, they are hard to train. They act like cats. You don't say cats are stupid just because you can't train one. Cats are very smart IMO. They just don't see the need to please your every whim. Same goes with the Chow.
Chows aren't reallly affectionate either. They have a loyalty like no other but they don't demand affection from you. NOT a cuddly, fuzzy, teddy bear. And they are NOT horrible. They aren't for every person in the world to have. Only a few have the skills required in raising them and trianing them. It is just the people that aren't one of these few that make the Chows bad. Don't judge a breed just on the poor represenitives. Also look at all of the Chows out there that are good.

(I thought I held my temper back pretty good.....if I had said the things I really want to say...well......let's just say I'd be in trouble )
Old 12-22-2004, 04:00 PM
Top Dog

Well said *claps* great representative of the breed you are!
Old 12-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulliest
Well said *claps* great representative of the breed you are!
*blushes* Thanks..... I've stocked up on breed info of all of the breeds I like because most of the breeds I like, everybody thinks are evil and will eat them. I've had lots of practice telling people that Pitties, Chows, Rotties, Mastiffs, etc. aren't Monsters and it is the irrisponsible owners and irrisponsible breeders that are making the breeds human aggresive.
(And also remember reading somewhere that because of the way Chows eyes, hair, and head are shaped they have tunnel vision so sudden movements startle them because they can't see to the sides very well. Is this true? I think it is, but I'm not sure.)
Old 12-28-2004, 09:05 AM
Big Dog

hey i got a half chow dog too ..(the pics in my profile) i'm not sure if its half chow yet but it looks like one cuz his mom is a german shepherd. they really are hard to train but they are soo adorable!
Old 12-31-2004, 12:34 AM
Puppy Dog

facez of death---sounds like an ignorant little kid who wrote that.

I'm currently dog sitting for a family who has 3 month old chow and a 4 month old german shepherd puppy. Talk about ~cute~ !! The chow is the cuttest thing I think I've ever seen. He looks like a fuzzy fat piglet with the softest thickest brown hair. The shepherd pup is cute too! The chow was a bit shy at first but has grown to know me and is very sweet.