Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-11-2004, 11:42 PM
Are you dead yet?

Default Chow Chows

They can be a difficult breed at times, but they're one of my favorites.. So loyal.

They're another breed that really doesn't deserve the reputation. A lot of them ARE snappy, but it's a result of poor training and no structure in the house.. Speaking of chows...

Chewy
My possible new foster baby! I go to meet her tomorrow!
Old 08-14-2004, 08:04 AM
Felurian

Chewy's a lovely girl. I can't help but wonder, though, how did she get that name? (lol) You might want to be sure you've got some good chew toys ready for her!

A friend of mine used to raise Chows. Her little girl learned to walk hanging on to the mama dog, and it wasn't unusual to find her curled up with the puppies next to mama for a nap. Pam was the only one allowed to touch that child when she was with the dog! Pam's Chows were some of the sweetest, most loving and steadiest dogs I've ever been around.

I've met a few Chows that fit the other side of the coin, but their dispositions could be laid squarely at the door of their owners. For some reason, these morons got the idea that the Chows were supposed to be big, bad, overly aggresive guard dogs. Anyone who's ever watched Martha Stewart when she's had her dogs on the show can see what a Chow Chow is really all about.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:06 AM
Wolfpack

Post About Chows...

I don't know how many people will get upset when I say this (and I'm sorry) but I KNOW THAT CHOWS ARE VERY MEAN DOGS.Maybe the owners are getting a hard time training them and so they give up but do you want to know why I say this?It's because I'm a canin hair stylist and believe me that almost all the chows that I've seen are very mean.And I don't think it's a coincidence.I don't know....Maybe the owners are not envolved enough in their education.But one thing is for sure.That chows have a great personality and they are very stubborn dogs.I think they are a lot like the shar-pey (both of the breeds, I think, have the same origins)...
Old 08-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Dog Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicco
I don't know how many people will get upset when I say this (and I'm sorry) but I KNOW THAT CHOWS ARE VERY MEAN DOGS.Maybe the owners are getting a hard time training them and so they give up but do you want to know why I say this?It's because I'm a canin hair stylist and believe me that almost all the chows that I've seen are very mean.And I don't think it's a coincidence.I don't know....Maybe the owners are not envolved enough in their education.But one thing is for sure.That chows have a great personality and they are very stubborn dogs.I think they are a lot like the shar-pey (both of the breeds, I think, have the same origins)...
That is the owners fault. We can't blame a dog because its been raised wrong. They don't know any better. Even the nicest of dogs can become little devils if raised wrong.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Are you dead yet?

I second shredhead's post..

Chows typically have an aversion to strangers... Top that with being very intrusively handled, like in grooming, then yes, they do seem mean.

Most of the chow's aggression problems lie with both the breeder & the owner. I'm not denying that there are 'bad dogs' out there, but those are poor examples of the breed & shouldn't be what the breed is judged on.

Renee-- I think Chewy's adoption is pending!
Old 08-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Felurian

It's necessary to remember, too, that Chows were never originally bred to be particularly friendly dogs. They were, after all, a primary source of food.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Are you dead yet?

They weren't meant to be indoor dogs, that would sit on their owner's lap and be stroked. I kind of like the cat-like temperament, they're not demanding but they show their affection in different and sometimes odd ways.

My Shiner used to bring me 'gifts', whether it was dead things that she had caught for me, or her favorite ball. (She was very picky about who she allowed to take her ball) That was how she best showed her affection. She'd sit tolerantly while I would pet her, but she would have rather been playing ball.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:02 PM
Top Dog

True.. chows were used as a source of food in certain countries..which is just really disgustingly wrong...but anywho..
They were also used for dog fighting if I can recall reading it.... which would explain the animal (not human) aggression. That's something you can't train your dog to quit... its something owners should be extremely careful and aware about...its like getting a pit bull..if you don't know anything about the breed beforehand, you're gonna be in for a few surprises and you may just be in over your head..

I can't stress this enough for anyone....research research and research before you get any type of dog
Old 08-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Are you dead yet?

Hehe, I like you pitbulliest. You're very wise.

The thing about chows, compared with pit bulls, is that chows are more likely to be human aggressive. Pit bulls generally have a more affectionate temperament. Not to say that there isn't a 'tough one' in there, I'm sure there are plenty, but Chows, with their aloofness, are harder to handle & motivate. Still, all in all, very rewarding dogs.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:45 PM
FaceZ Of DeaTh

chow chows are stupid and hard tp train they also arent affection they are horrible