Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-11-2005, 11:41 AM
stirder

Default new breeds

with so much discussion about new breeds and designer dogs, I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about new breeds that are good. bred for a purpose besides money, resbonsibly bred (of course every breed has irresponsible breeders), basically respectable breeds that are new.
here is one that I like. the english mastiff was originally bred for hunting, fighting, and as a guard dog. in recent decades it has been bred to be more family friendly and have less aggression towards humans and animals. the biggest downside to the english mastiff is the same as most giant breeds, it has a relatively short life span. the nebolish mastiff has all the attributes of the english mastiff, but can live 10-14 years.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/nebolishmastiff.htm
Old 07-11-2005, 12:44 PM
Puppy Dog

Czechoslovakian Wolfdog.

This Wolfdog is a fairly new breed. A cross between a Carpathian Wolf, and a German Shepherd. It is a working dog with many talents, used for many purposes. Security and Military etc. It is an unusually loyal, strong and intelligent dog, that can work very well independent. Making it a very good Guard and Military dog. It is much alike the Saarloos Wolfhound. It's not as good a family dog as the Saarloos though. It doesn't bite without reason. Like most Wolfdogs, it is very difficult to have, and is not a Beginners choice.

Czech Wolfdog info
Old 07-11-2005, 12:54 PM
stirder

one comment about the czech wolfdog...yesterday I contacted a acquaintance in czechozlovakia to ask about sarloos and czech wolfdogs. he trains dogs for the czech police and military. said the czech military and police used some czech wolfdogs in the late 80's and early 90's, but have since abandoned them for german shepherds and belgian malinois. said every year they test a few new czechs and they are getting better, but said it'll probably be 5-10 years before they use any again.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Puppy Dog

Okay. Thats a shame, considered how much I like Wolfdogs. Well I'm no expert on the breed. I just wrote what I learned from the Internet. But thats good to know. You certainly have your contacts mate.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:02 PM
stirder

well, he confirmed everything you said. just that they need a little more breeding down, their temperment is too wolfish still. a little timid, and very hard headed.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:05 PM
stirder

this one sounds interesting. any aussies know more about this breed??
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/kangaroodog.htm
Old 07-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Puppy Dog

I just hope they don't breed the independent character away. Sounds to me like thats one of the biggest pluses for working, that this breed have.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:11 PM
stirder

its not independance that makes a good working dog. that is part of what makes a good stock gaurdian. a good working dog should want to work with a human partner and want to be given orders. it should also have high drives (prey drive and ball/toy drive).
Old 07-12-2005, 12:53 PM
stirder

is that all? 2 breeds?