Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 07-11-2005, 10:13 AM
stirder

the only reason I havnt mentioned getting rocky fixed is that I was around on another forum and a bunch of people (myself included) were suggesting that, and I dont want to be a broken record.
I agree in a way with bubbatd. your life is going to change a lot more than you know. however, if it is a family dog, not just yours, then go for it. also didnt you say it ould be a year and a half right now? when rocky is 3...hes 1.5 right now right? a lot can change in a year and a half, and in that time dont deprive yourself of the fun that comes from thinking about getting one. you might decide tomorrow, or a year from now that its not the right time, or for you and your family it might be right.
the only reason I suggest a female (one of them fixed atleast) is because you wont run ANY risk of same sex aggression between them.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Top Dog

Thank you everyone.. we have also been thinking of getting another puppy so rocky wont be lonely.. cause we just got rid of our 4 yr old chihuahua and they usto play all the time, but since she left hes been really sad and depressed.. in a few months my mom said that we can get another puppy cause ive been wanting a rottie and when we get it i think rocky wont be depressed anymore.. but before we get the puppy we are going to see how rocky acts towards it.

hm.. also this woman wanted rocky to breed with her female GSD mix and i told her i dont know about that... what do u all think ( my mom also said if they do have puppies that if i like one of them i can keep one of those ) the woman also knows hes a mix but she loves his personality and his colorings and shes been wanting to breed her dog. WHAT DO U ALL THINK?

Old 07-11-2005, 10:44 AM
stirder

she should not be allowed to have a dog. they are both mixes, responsibly their is no excuse for breeding them. because she loves his personality? we all think our dog has the best personality, but thats NOT A REASON TO BREED!!! she wants her female to have pups? why? if she wants to breed she needs to do research and get a breeding quality dog.
and what would happen to all the other puppies? if you take one and she keeps one? and their no reason to think that the puppies would have his personality.

also its possible that you would just have two lonely depressed dogs.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Top Dog

well i understand about the breeding and everything. and i agree ill just tell her that that wont be such a good idea

and if i get another puppy i will see how rocky and the puppy react together.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:00 AM
stirder

Im not saying dont get one, just have a plan incase they are BOTH lonely.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

i do have a plan for that if they are both lonely o and rocky says hi to everyone lol hes trying to put his paw on the keyboard

Old 07-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Top Dog

I'm curious, why did you get rid of the chihuaha and want to get another dog?
Old 07-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Top Dog

the dog(s) should get fixed. nless it was a purebred, and is for show or breeding purposes. have you thought about whats going to happen to the dog when u go to college? will u be the only one responsible for the dog? or is your mom willing to take care of him. we have so many students here, in our town, that go off to college, and they either dump their dogs, or no one cares for them. not saying, that you won't, but it's something to think about. when i was young, 19, i ahd a cockerspaniel puppy, and i was really irresponsible. i didnt go to college, but i also had a baby, so i ended up giving the puppy away. cus i didnt even think about the next 10-15 yrs ahead of me, with a dog....just a thought. i used to have a rottweiler(former showdog) and she desired so much attention, which i was able to provide, cus i am a stay at home mom. unfortunately she passed away. also consider hip problems with that kind of breed. and i am glad u are looking into getting a dog from a shelter, to save a life. Good Luck with whatever u decide to do.also, with the chihuahua..i hope u didnt just give him away because of peeing in the house, or barking a lot etc. i hope there was a real good reason for u to get rid of him. whereas i dont see ANY good reason to get rid of a dog. behaviour problems can be corrected, and health problems can be taken care of with proper vet care. u cant keep getting a dog, and then decide to say:screw it, i want another one....
Old 07-11-2005, 01:57 PM
Top Dog

I would never put two intact males together, especially working males. I would get a female and make sure he is neutered before you get another dog and make sure you spay the female as soon as she is eligable...I do have to agree with bubbatb though. It would be best to wait
Old 07-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Top Dog

well. with the chihuahua we sold her to family my cousin actually, because he lost a chihuahua not long ago and her and my cousin really bonded.. but shes happy there in colorado! i go down there a few times a year so ill see her.

and when i go off to college i will be responsible for my dog(s) i take Rocky with me everywhere, or my mom will just watch him most of the time if i want to go to the movies or something. he never leaves my side. me and my mom were talking earlier and saying if i get a (purebred) rottweiler ( or another dog ) either if its a boy or a girl we will not fix it and fix rocky but if its a mix we will probably get them both fixed

and showpug that pug puppy is just adorable!