Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 07-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Top Dog

Default rottweiler puppies

well, im planning on getting a puppy in a couple months, ive been wanting a purebred rottweiler ( ive been raised around them and all the guard dog breeds ) and i just wanted to know if i should get a purebred or a mix? if i were to get one should i get a male or a female?.. remember i also have a german shepherd 1/4 chow chow and hes not fixed. he loves to play though! and hes great around puppies and other dogs unless they try to fight him ( he knows when there playing ) um..just tell me what yall think

Old 07-10-2005, 11:04 PM
stirder

ummm...you dont want a female unless one of them is fixed. is rocky a dominant dog? does he boss other dogs around? if so he might get in arguments with a male. even if you get a male puppy, they might argue later when BOTH are mature. mix or pure bred? which do you want? even if you want a purebred you could still go through a rescue. either way its a great breed.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Big German Shepherd

You should get the GSD/Chow Chow mix fixed. They can get extremely testy when they're not and will try to challenge other male dogs. If he's friendly around most dogs though you should be O.K.

A Rottweiler is a great choice. They're good, friendly, and handsome dogs. About the gender? Well, it's really a matter of choice. I've argued this a lot... and really, it's whatever you'd prefer. Males are supposed to be more pack-oriented whereas I hear a female will attatch herself mostly to one person than anyone else. At least that's the case with what I've read.

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2005, 11:07 PM
stirder

a lot of people say that females are more focused, and males are more goofy with short attention spans. just like in people.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:10 PM
Top Dog

lol thank you all, rocky doesnt boss around other dogs or isnt agressive hes still a puppy and he loves to play and when my mom says i can get a rottweiler puppy i am going to go to a rescue and look at them first before i go to a breeder cause i would rather save a life :: smiles ::

Old 07-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Kelpiefied

I find females learn commands faster, but males retain them better. So I could teach a new command to my kelpie girl in a minute, but she may not remember it the next day, whereas it will take Azlan five minutes but he will remember for weeks.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:59 AM
Top Dog

Personally, considering you're 15 yrs old, I'd hold off. You've got a wonderful dog now and your life will be taking many changes in the years to come. Live now to the fullest and enjoy !!! I left my golden behind when I went off to college,,,,,it would have been twice as hard to leave 2 dogs. I know at your age 10 years seems like forever...believe me time flies !!!!!! It's not fair that it drags so at your are and flies for us !!! I doubt if anyone here will post differently unless they are under 20 !!!!
Old 07-11-2005, 09:04 AM
no touchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirder
a lot of people say that females are more focused, and males are more goofy with short attention spans. just like in people.
I have seen that too. Male dogs are usually braindead (sorry, no offense) from what I've seen while females pay more attention from what I've seen.

I suggest getting your chow/shepherd fixed also.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:04 AM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirder
I disagree on a part of that... my male dog, Levi, does not have a short attention span but he is so goofy!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:06 AM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

I think you would be better off getting your MIX fixed and then getting a male rottie. My friend's cousin has a rottie and he is adorable and he really is calm for a 3 month old... but he still has his playing moments!